Sign in to follow this  
ybrim5

Wanderlodge 2004 M380

We are thinking about purchasing a 2004 Wanderlodge M380.

Can anyone offer suggestions of what to be especially through in checking.

Or should we disc the whole idea?

First of all, welcome to the FMCA forum!

Your's is a broad question, so rather than an inspection checklist, let me offer some generalized suggestions.

1. Have every aspect of the coach inspected by independent motorhome professionals. This would include the body work, all the drivetrain components, suspension, brakes, every interior appliance, switch, light, fan, etc. This will take time and cost money, but it is far better than discovering the problems later. Don't let weather, time pressures, or anything else stop you from trying out every piece of operating equipment. Don't be afraid to spend money on a professional inspection, it might save you much more.

2. If service records are available, study them diligently. If they are not available, be even more cautious. If purchasing from a dealer, get a car-fax type report and use it to contact the prior owners.

3. There is lots of information on this site with specific inspection lists. You'll find similar lists in some of the Bluebird specific websites.

4. Carefully list and consider your proposed usage, needs and priorities. Does this coach meet those needs? Is it too much or too little coach for what you plan to do?

I hope this helps. Good luck on your selection.

Tim

Thanks TIM very useful info. Perhaps I should also say I was hoping there may be a m380 owner out there that could offer some coach specific advice. I can't seem to find much on this model. Again thanks

Last October we stopped overnight in Raine, LA on I-10. We stayed at the convention center/RV facilities in Raine. As the evening went on, a number of Wanderlodges arrived for a rally they were having. With a little searching, you should be able to find one or two organizations of Wanderlodge owners that could help you with your query. I'd start by checking the affiliate organizations of FMCA and see if you can find a good contact there to help you.

From the FMCA home page, I went to chapters/areas. That comes up with a search tool. I ran a search on the FMCA site for Wanderlodge and came up with one chapter. I searched for Blue Bird and came up with lots of references, I think many were simply keying on Bird but check that search list also. Officer contacts are listed so you can find someone to talk or write to for assistance. Good luck.

Last October we stopped overnight in Raine, LA on I-10. We stayed at the convention center/RV facilities in Raine. As the evening went on, a number of Wanderlodges arrived for a rally they were having. With a little searching, you should be able to find one or two organizations of Wanderlodge owners that could help you with your query. I'd start by checking the affiliate organizations of FMCA and see if you can find a good contact there to help you.

From the FMCA home page, I went to chapters/areas. That comes up with a search tool. I ran a search on the FMCA site for Wanderlodge and came up with one chapter. I searched for Blue Bird and came up with lots of references, I think many were simply keying on Bird but check that search list also. Officer contacts are listed so you can find someone to talk or write to for assistance. Good luck.

Thank you, I will definitely try that, the coach looks as though it has been taken care of, few nicks here and there to be expected with its age. Our concern is longer term mechanics. Of course eventually those are to be expected some what, just rather it was further down the road.

Charles/Yvonne Brim

Wellborn, FL

One other idea, you might try www.vintagebirds.com

They have a "fixes" forum just for Wonderlodges.

Good luck,

Tim

You have been so very helpful, thank you very much. I have researched as you suggested and found some useful info. Prayfully we are venturing into a good unit.

This is my input. Find what you want, do research on that Motorhomes, check into the servicing and any repair's its had. I would only (my option only) buy a pusher diesel with an Allison 6speed in these times with fuel this high, make sure that it is a serviceable MH and a side radiator is a super plus. (do not buy one with a small engine they use more fuel ie. not enough power!

Coach/MH companies buy the best deal not the best engine combo for your MH, so a high quality MH is a better bet. Motorhomes are expensive and you do not want to start out with a problem one. I spent (wife on the computer me following up) 4+ months reading about all models we were looking at. We found out real quickly there are lots of so/so MH out their some real bad one too. Everyone has their own wants and needs, budget is a concern' so really shop, do not believe sales people (all they want is a commission). I found what I wanted and made a super deal and have been pleased with the out come, the wife got what she wanted in the interior and I in the drive line. All bloggers are very opinionated and self serving (they don't think that way?) but they are. So from this Motorhome owner all I can tell Ya' is find what you think you want then research it well. Good Luck Rz' B)

If your interested in a BB, as mentioned Vintage Birds and please check out the Wanderlodge Owners Group, introduce yourself & ask away :)

Lots of helpful folks there & if you need an expert in your area to check one out for you, chances are they will be available, not to mention someone there probably knows the previous owner & the history.

Good luck in your searches for the right Bird for you. They are certainly amazing pieces of machinery.

ETA .. now that I paid attention & see that you are in FL, there are several very nice BB coaches for sale in your area. You'll find a link to them on the WOG forum.