jarz09

Solar Connection

Does the Solar charging panel need to be disconnected when my MH is in RV barn? I plug it in and the Heart Inverter has a charging system. Before the had an RV Barn would leave it connected, but when I connected power to the Coach the house batteries would over flow (battery acid out the vents). I lowered the charging voltage to 20amps. and disconnect the Solar. Now I'm using the MH more so I reconnected the solar panel (not a big one, just a battery charging size) and yes I have a controller. Please correct me don't both of these have charging limiters? Now that I'm under roof with very little sun do I need to disconnect the Solar panel or just turn off the house power and let the batteries rest. Any good answers? Thanks Ross'

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Indeed which ever charging system is set to the higher voltage will determine battery voltage (assuming you have enough light to drive the solar panels-- not likely an issue in a barn).

But, it is important on the Heart inverter/charger that it be properly programmed-- if it is it can be left powered up 24/7. Early models called it "setting the dip-switches". Later models were programmed from the Xantrex/Heart remote. Programming includes programming battery bank size (in amp-hrs), battery technology (wet cell, AGM or Gel), ambient temperature (A REALLY IMPORTANT ONE-- IF SET TO COLD TEMPERATURES IN REALLY HOT WEATHER, IT WILL OVERCHRAGE THE BATTERIES).

Another cause of battery boiling is a dead cell in the battery. In that case, the charger continues (as it should) to charge the remaining 10 VDC battery at 13+ VDC! That IS overcharging, but can't be blamed on the charging system.

Brett