rvndonbon

Side Radiator Cleaning

I frequently read the importance of cleaning the rear radiator and the proper way to do the cleaning. However, I have a side radiator and would like to know the proper way to clean the radiator and other coolers. Should one separate the group to clean? Thanks for any tips! Don

Good timing. We just did the maintenance seminar at the Caterpillar RV Engine Owners Club Chapter Rally this morning and covered that exact subject.

Yes, side radiators need to be cleaned, though not as often as rear radiator configurations. If for example, you drove in the rain and the side of the coach is muddy, think of the thousands or tens of thousands of cubic feet of that mud-ladened air that got sucked up by that cooling fan. Lots of that water evaporated on the hot metal of the CAC and radiator, leaving the dirt behind.

Air flows from the side of the coach and is pulled into the engine room by the fan(s) so the majority of the dirt collects on the outside element (first thing in the air flow). That may be an A/C condenser, it may be a fuel or transmission cooler or the CAC(Charge Air Cooler). Though in theory it would be best to back-flush from the back, you are not going to be able to clean the outer outside element from the inside-- too many layers of "filters".

Open or remove the grill if possible to give better access. If just dirt, use a hose with regular garden nozzle. If leaves or debris, use a toothbrush (NEVER YOUR OWN) to clean it. If any oily residue, use dawn or Simple Green for Aluminum. Also clean from the back, but the vast majority of the debris will be on the outside element.

Brett

:lol:

Good timing. We just did the maintenance seminar at the Caterpillar RV Engine Owners Club Chapter Rally this morning and covered that exact subject.

Yes, side radiators need to be cleaned, though not as often as rear radiator configurations. If for example, you drove in the rain and the side of the coach is muddy, think of the thousands or tens of thousands of cubic feet of that mud-ladened air that got sucked up by that cooling fan. Lots of that water evaporated on the hot metal of the CAC and radiator, leaving the dirt behind.

Air flows from the side of the coach and is pulled into the engine room by the fan(s) so the majority of the dirt collects on the outside element (first thing in the air flow). That may be an A/C condenser, it may be a fuel or transmission cooler or the CAC(Charge Air Cooler). Though in theory it would be best to back-flush from the back, you are not going to be able to clean the outer outside element from the inside-- too many layers of "filters".

Open or remove the grill if possible to give better access. If just dirt, use a hose with regular garden nozzle. If leaves or debris, use a toothbrush (NEVER YOUR OWN) to clean it. If any oily residue, use dawn or Simple Green for Aluminum. Also clean from the back, but the vast majority of the debris will be on the outside element.

Brett

NEVER YOUR OWN? How about the wifes? :lol:

Brett, have you ever tryed the aerisol spray cleaner that HVAC tech use on the condensers? I have used it at home and following the instructions the dirt just flows away with water pressure. I didn't see any problem with the paint of the unit. I would say to go to a car wash and use the engine cleaner and soapy water, but not the high pressure. Your thoughts. :huh:

:lol:

NEVER YOUR OWN? How about the wifes? :lol:

Brett, have you ever tried the aerosol spray cleaner that HVAC tech use on the condensers? I have used it at home and following the instructions the dirt just flows away with water pressure. I didn't see any problem with the paint of the unit. I would say to go to a car wash and use the engine cleaner and soapy water, but not the high pressure. Your thoughts. :huh:

Herman,

You KNOW that I can't tell you whose toothbrush to use (don't want to share a dog house with you)-- and if you write it here, you may be discovered. Where do you want to sleep tonight?

Never tried the HVAC cleaner, but if it is Aluminum-safe I can think of no reason it would not work. But, I have not used it and don't know if it is formulated to cut road grease.

And absolutely, do not use high pressure unless you want to bend a lot of the fins in the cooling system. Yes, it a pro's hands, standing back the proper distance with the PSI turned down low you could use a pressure washer. But you can clean it just fine with garden hose PSI and not risk damage to the fins.

Brett

I use Spray Nine Greez Off. It loosens the grease and dirt and can be flushed with a garden hose. I have a rear mount radiator which needs cleaning every year. This product is the best for cleaning chassis, engines, transmissions etc. Grease just rinses off.