robcoppock

Should You Use Emergency Flashers At Low Speed?

I have noticed that many truckers use their emergency flashers when going up or downhill below the posted speed limit. Does anyone know guidelines for their use in this context?

If traveling at a significantly lower speed than other traffic-- good idea as long as the flashers do not activate your toad brake (depends on wiring of coach).

Using truckers as a benchmark makes sense.

Brett

I use the emergency flashers whenever I am traveling significantly below the posted minimum speed limit. A long grade below 45 MPH on interstate highways is an example of conditions where I use the flashers. In many cases, it is posted as a requirement. I consider it a courtesy to other drivers to let them see that there is a slow moving vehicle ahead before they are almost on top of you. Of course it is more than courtesy, it is a basic safety edict, see and be seen.

I will also use the flashers when entering an interstate highway when my speed will be below the minimum when I have to leave the acceleration lane. Occasionally when on an uphill grade in the acceleration lane, I may not be above 50 MPH when I have to pull into traffic.

Guest BillAdams

Slow speeds on a hill and using flashers just makes sense. You may or may not have a trucker's lane, but if you are running below the speed limit then you should be as far right as possible. Sometimes, you are going to come upon a truck going up that hill even slower than you. If there are still 2 lanes to your left you can pull out (with your flashers) and pass this truck as the cars can merge to the far left lane to get past you. If you are on a 2-lane uphill and the truck in front of you is just a bit slower than you and you would substantially block traffic during the 2-3 minutes required to pass this trucker I would recommend that you just "suck it up" and hang in there behind the truck. The hill won't last forever!