CarlGeo

Inverter and Dead Circuits

My coach is a 97 Safari. When connected to shore power all 110 V outlets should be hot. Is this correct? However, on current trip, I must turn inverter to get power to two circuits.

Do I have a problem with the inverter, or is it normal to turn the inverter in order for all circuits to be hot?

Thanks

CarlGeo

That depends on what inverter you have and how it is wired.

Many have a "Pass Through" feature. When they receive 120 VAC from the generator or shore power, they merely "pass it through". If your inverter has this feature, you need to verify that 120 VAC is getting to the inverter from your coach's main 120 VAC breaker panel.

Others are wired with a second ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

Be aware that most outlets are wired with/through a GFI which may need to be reset. But if tripped, it should not work off the inverter either.

Brett

Brett

Thanks for the reply. I believe my inverter does have the 'pass thru' feature, and has in the past worked as intended. Your comment about ATS may be where the problem exists.

I have checked all my GFI's and they are OK. Checked the fuses on the inverter, and they are OK. Something similar occurred about two years ago, with exact same circuits. Had appointment with tech to check out, took to shop, and when connected to shore power, all was good. So no problem found for sure, but he suggested either the inverter or ATS. Will take to tech for check and see where problem is.

CarlGeo