Sign in to follow this  
aztec7fan

Onan Emerald III Not Working

I have an Onan Emerald III Genset on my old 1989 Southwind that has never worked right in the two years we've had the coach. I can press the remote start button and it runs while pressed in start position, but when the button is released to run on it's own, it shuts off. I've checked and I'm getting spark, and fuel flow is fine. I've cleaned the carb, and replaced the spark plugs, and changed oil and filter, with no success.

I'm wondering if the remote switch could be faulty. How can you check this switch? does current continue to flow through the switch while the generator is running?

Note, the start/stop switch on the unit itself does not work at all, so I can't test operation from there.

Thanks for any info you can provide. This unit is gas only, does not run off propane.

Chris,

If your Gen set runs as long as you hold down the switch and your remote start doesn't work it would seem that you have a bad switch. Google ONAN and there is a site ask the mechanic. Your question may have already been answered there. I would say that you might have a bad sending unit in your tank and it is reading below 1/4 full and the gen will not run when the gas is below 1/4, just a thought. :mellow:

The remote switch or the wiring maybe bad. Current doesn't run through the switch when the unit is running. If my memory serves me correct, if the circuit board doesn't recognize voltage through the regulator it will not keep running. We have replace a number of regulators in our Onan service shop. So many that I carry a spare regulator with me when I travel.