Sign in to follow this  
williamcrawford

Battery Failure

I have a 2010 Discovery with 3600 miles on it. I was just told that both of the Batteries failed and must be replaced, needless to say I am two months out of warranty. Is it normal for this to happen, The dealer reviewed the situation over the past 4 months and said it was a Cummins problem, now they find out it is the batteries. Note, I have had to use the Auxiliary start switch for the past 4 months to start the 350 Cummins.

Why did the dealer tell you this was a Cummins problem?

Does your converter, charger or inverter/charger charge the chassis batteries while plugged into shore power?

Do you store it plugged into shore power?

If not, do you have solar panels or other means of keeping the batteries charged?

How long is the coach stored before the batteries are discharged?

Are the batteries maintenance free, or can you check water level? If you can check them, how much water did they use?

Brett

As Brett indicates, it is important to find the reason why the batteries failed after only one year before you install new batteries. Clearly, failure after just a year or two is not normal but then, RV usage and storage is also not the normal condition expected for batteries. Still, our factory installed batteries failed this spring after 7 1/2 years. Since you were nowhere close to this length of service there must be some underlying reason for the early failure of your batteries.

While your coach may be out of warranty, your batteries should still be covered by their warranty. Most battery warranties run in the 3 to 5 year range so you should be able to get some credit from the battery manufacturer. Many of the products installed on your motor home have their own warranty through their own manufacturer. If something gives up the ghost, check the paperwork you received with your motor home, all the individual warranties should be there in a file.

Thank you for the information, currently the service supervisor is out of the office for a week, so I have contacted the Sales mgr to try and get some motivation going, generally he is very accommodating, although we have had our rig in at least 8 times in the past year for repairs.

We seem to get the answer from other FMCA members that it is normal to get the bugs out in the first year, we plan on going full time in one year when I retire.

Thanks for your status report. We comment on many issues and frequently never find out how things turned out. Keep us posted as this issue resolves itself. We all learn more when we know how the issue was settled.