cgerhardt

Toad Brakes Lockup While Not Being Towed

Today my daughter was driving our 2007 Saturn Vue and the brakes all of a sudden locked up for no apparent reason. I left the car in California for my daughter to drive and the lockup incident happened a couple of hours ago right before a railroad track and she barely made it across the track. She said it happened all of a sudden and she "gunned it" to get past the tracks. A man happened by and looked "under the hood" and somehow got them released and went on his way. She did not know what he did but she drove it to a nearby Goodyear store where we had a complete brake job done two days ago.

I made a stupid error last week and left the emergency brake on when towing. This fried the brakes and I had to replace drums, shoes, calipers, cylinder, fluid etc. This work was done Tuesday. I am wondering if this brake work could have somehow bothered the brake buddy or Blue Ox system and caused the malfunction. The brakes were done by the Goodyear store and I spoke to the guys there a while ago but they knew nothing about the toad braking system.

We have a new Brake Buddy system installed with a Blue Ox tow bar system and tow the Vue behind our 2007 Holiday Rambler that we recently purchased. We have driven it about 3,000 miles and have not had any problems while towing with the system activated with no problems.

I have not had a chance to talk to the installing dealer who is here in Michigan. I will call them tomorrow. I know very little about this since I am a new RV owner. Is this a common problem that can occur? Strange that it happened when the Vue was not being towed. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

We have used the Patriot braking system that engaged during towing our car with no signs at all to warn us and it burnt up our brakes. Everything was set up properly and functioning properly when we left our destination and our RF controller in the motorhome was on 5 and everything inside the car was correct including having it in neutral and on acc and the box was ready to go. The brake buddy malfunctioned and compressed our brake pedal down with no warning until we stopped and went to disconnect it and all the brake fluid ran out and we discovered we had no brakes. We are are held up for 5 days at an expense rv park and found out after having the car towed 40 miles to this city that all the brakes front and back were burned up. Cost of almost 4,000 for us to fix the car. We called the Patriot dealer and he said we must have done something wrong. We have used it about 7 months and have always hooked it up right. It wasn’t our first time. It malfunctioned and they are trying to say we hooked it up wrong. Has anyone else had any issues with this system?

We have used the Patriot braking system that engaged during towing our car with no signs at all to warn us and it burnt up our brakes. Everything was set up properly and functioning properly when we left our destination and our RF controller in the motorhome was on 5 and everything inside the car was correct including having it in neutral and on acc and the box was ready to go. The brake buddy malfunctioned and compressed our brake pedal down with no warning until we stopped and went to disconnect it and all the brake fluid ran out and we discovered we had no brakes. We are are held up for 5 days at an expense rv park and found out after having the car towed 40 miles to this city that all the brakes front and back were burned up. Cost of almost 4,000 for us to fix the car. We called the Patriot dealer and he said we must have done something wrong. We have used it about 7 months and have always hooked it up right. It wasn’t our first time. It malfunctioned and they are trying to say we hooked it up wrong. Has anyone else had any issues with this system?

Wow! Wish I could help. I could not blame it on the Brake Buddy. Cost $2,000 to fix my stupid. Bet I never let the emergency brake on again.

Have a Patriot brake system. The same thing happened to us, but I heard the brakes squealing and pulled off the road--

good thing it was a wet road!

Tried to get answers from amg( blue -ox), they just sluoghed it off and wouldn't return my calls or emails.

I thought it could was the breakaway switch, but took it off and replaced it. Tested the old one and it tested ok.

Have continued to use it, but every trip have issues like battery on towed dead-- it drains battery even if it says it has its own battery.

Its a joke-- had to put a toad charge on, or error codes, some times when this goes on I disconnect and carry on.

Poorest high state of art brake system I've seen. I think RVI could be another.

They need to get all the bugs out before they sell them, as they are not cheap.

We in Canada pay top dollar.

Sorry for the rant.

Don

We have used the Patriot braking system that engaged during towing our car with no signs at all to warn us and it burnt up our brakes. Everything was set up properly and functioning properly when we left our destination and our RF controller in the motorhome was on 5 and everything inside the car was correct including having it in neutral and on acc and the box was ready to go. The brake buddy malfunctioned and compressed our brake pedal down with no warning until we stopped and went to disconnect it and all the brake fluid ran out and we discovered we had no brakes. We are are held up for 5 days at an expense rv park and found out after having the car towed 40 miles to this city that all the brakes front and back were burned up. Cost of almost 4,000 for us to fix the car. We called the Patriot dealer and he said we must have done something wrong. We have used it about 7 months and have always hooked it up right. It wasn't our first time. It malfunctioned and they are trying to say we hooked it up wrong. Has anyone else had any issues with this system?

Was this a Patriot sytem or Brake Buddy? I note that you said Patriot at one point and the Brake Buddy later. I have used Brake Buddy for three years without any problems but I have heard some people have experienced problems with Patriot.

I'm a bit confused - but that's nothing new --

You say

the lockup incident happened a couple of hours ago right before a railroad track and she barely made it across the track.

Later on you say

I am wondering if this brake work could have somehow bothered the brake buddy or Blue Ox system and caused the malfunction.

I'm wondering if your daughter drives the vehicle with the Brake Buddy installed? Would not that be a bit awkward?

phespe