Sign in to follow this  
DavidWhite

Route from Grand Canyon Flagstaff to Denver

Question

4 answers to this question

If I were going for easiest, leaving the south rim of the canyon, I'd take Hwy 64 east toward Cameron where you can pick up US 160 toward Durango, Colorado. US 160 will take you past Hovenweep National Monument on the Utah, Colorado border and also Mesa Verde National Park. Stay with US 160 all the way to Walsenburg, CO where it intercepts I-25 which will take you into Denver. US 160 is two lane but good highway. You will see lots of good scenery but there are much more scenic routes which you could take.

If I wanted the most scenic, I would modify the trip to include a look at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, taking US 89 where it splits with US 160 north of Cameron and US 89A which goes past the park entrance to the north rim. This is a fairly long drive to the rim but gives you a completely different view of the Grand Canyon. Continue NW on US 89A to Kanab, UT. There you can pick up US 89 toward Mt. Carmel. If you have a car or motorcycle in that trailer, you can drive or ride to Zion National Park. Do not take your motor home. There is a tunnel that must be run one way for motor homes as the only way to get through with a motor home is to drive the center line. People do drive this tunnel in Class A motor homes but I wouldn't recommend it. Further north, turn east on Hwy 12 toward Bryce Canyon National Park. Both these canyons are completely different from each other and from the Grand Canyon.

Continuing on east on Hwy 12 takes you through part of Bryce Canyon and on toward Capital Reef National Park. Hwy 24 takes you through Capital Reef National Park and on toward the town of Hanksville, UT. At Hanksville turn south on Hwy 95 toward Three Forks and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. You will find several scenic overlooks giving you spectacular views of Lake Powell on this route. Further south on Hwy 95 is Natural Bridges National Monument with more unique features and scenery. Continue on Hwy 95 to US 191 and turn south back into Arizona where you will pick up US 160 toward Durango and the route I previously described. All of these roads can be traveled in a motor home, they are two lane roads but when we traveled them several years ago the surfaces were good. Hwy 12 does have some mountain driving, hitting about 9500 feet north of Boulder, UT. You will then descend to about 6500 feet at Capital Reef. The views along this route are truly spectacular.

As a final scenic part of the route, leave US 160 at Del Norte, CO on Hwy 112. This short link will take you to US 285 which goes north into Denver. You will pass near Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve as you drive north on US 285. You will encounter more mountain driving on US 285, again the elevation is somewhere near 9500 feet before you descend into Denver.

We have driven all the above roads in the last three years with our 40 foot motor home towing a toad. If you aren't comfortable taking your time and traveling some narrower and steeper roads, you may not want to try the scenic routes.

Just a note of curiosity as to why you would not suggest driving the tunnel Zion NP. I see in other posts such as the Million Dollar highway that the tunnel should be avoided also.

If 40 footers are traversing the road and have no problems why is it not advised? The highways dept. close the road to oncoming traffic for coach convenience so they must feel the road is safe. If its just a matter of lack of confidence, fine, but is that reason to not recommend the road?

I can understand not recommending a road that has no guardrails. A moment of distraction can spell disaster, but in a tunnel I would never be distracted. I am not asking just to be a pain in the behind. I really want to know.

Elgin

It is not an easy drive to get to the tunnel from the west. Steep and sharp turns. I have done it but would not recommend it. The tunnel is the only road that is closed to oncomming so the motorhome can go through in the center of the road because of the overhead clearance. You must make arrangements ahead of time and there is a fee involved.