Sign in to follow this  
rrlowther

Upgrading To Color Back Up Camera

Greetings everyone! We have a 2000 Safari Zanzibar 40' DP. When we purchased the coach there was NO back up monitor. None. The dealer was supposed to put on in but that never happened. Long story.

We purchased a 7" lcd screen and mounted it on the dash. It looks great! Easy to see without having to look away from the road completely.

We have a coax connection that feeds the camera signal to the LCD screen.

We have noticed with the black and white camera, lighting is a huge issue. If the sun is behind us it all but blocks the view completely. We two a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I like being able to see it and the traffic behind me.

The camera runs on 12V. My question is this, is there a color 12V camera that we can switch out the black and white camera for and use the existing wiring?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

In a word, yes easily done.

BUT, the devil is in the detail.

You will need to know if you need a reverse image camera or if that option exists on your monitor (so what is on the left behind your coach appears on the left side of the monitor).

You may need adapters to get from camera output to coax-- again no big deal as long as you know what to get.

Consider one with IR capability-- that way it will function in the dark.

My suggestion is to call RV Cams. They do this for a living. Discuss with them what you have, both in terms of monitor functions and wiring.

http://www.rvcams.com/Default.htm

I have dealt with RV Cams 4 times, and I have always been pleased with the information and products that have been supplied by them. I would call them vs. just ordering from their web site. Many time they will know that you need a different or possibly and adapter cable to satisfy you requirements.

About the sun glare issue, I don't think any camera can totally eliminate straight sun light. Color is better than black and white only in that you can see smoke or flames should the need arise.

Just spoke with RV Cams. Turns out they have a special color conversion camera kit for our 2000 Safari Zanzibar! A whopping $129.00!!!! And I can install it myself. Woo Hoo! Thanks for the great advice guys!

Just spoke with RV Cams. Turns out they have a special color conversion camera kit for our 2000 Safari Zanzibar! A whopping $129.00!!!! And I can install it myself. Woo Hoo! Thanks for the great advice guys!

Did your coach come with a factory-installed cable, or did you install a cable when you added the camera and monitor? The "Safari-kit" at RV Cams assumes that you are using the factory cable -- which consists of standard RG59 cable with standard F-Connectors.

Did your coach come with a factory-installed cable, or did you install a cable when you added the camera and monitor? The "Safari-kit" at RV Cams assumes that you are using the factory cable -- which consists of standard RG59 cable with standard F-Connectors.

Yes, the coach came with a black and white camera mounted in the back of the coach.

We are going to use the same 12v power and coax cable to install the new color camera.