dfw1ema

Excessive Brake Dust Accumulations, 2011 HR / Monaco

I have a new 2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassador class A with a Roadmaster chassis. (same chassis as on any Monaco Knight class A)with 600 owner miles. After 100 to 200 miles of use, there are large accumulations of brake dust at the rear of the coach and more on the passenger side than the drivers side. It appears only the rear brakes are the cause. No signs of dust in the front. I suspect the brakes are either failing to completely return properly after braking or they are adjusted to tight and are dragging just enough to cause this excessive brake dust. Monaco says this is a normal operating condition for this RV? Is anyone having a similar problem and hopefully a solution or any suggestions .........dfw1ema

Welcome to the Forum.

Being a new coach your brakes may be experiencing a break in cycle and the dust may soon go away. However it wouldn't hurt to take your coach to a truck shop (preferably a Navistar dealer) that can inspect your brakes. If they do find a problem they may be able to correct the problem under warranty.

Good luck

Thank you..........Navistar, SW International would not accept the unit under warranty, they only honor the Navistar motor but not the chassis. My rig is at Freightliner, 2 1/2 weeks, can't find anything as yet but they stated this is a highly unusual quantity of dust. Hoping someone out there has had a similar problem with a solution.....something mechanical?

Well, I also have the same problem. I have a new 2011 Monaco Knight that is producing excessive brake dust, although it is pretty even on both sides. The coach had about 300 miles when we bought it and it now has 1200. There has not been any reduction in the dust yet. I mentioned it to the dealership maintenance supervisor. He said there had been some complaints over this but knew of no remedies or answers from Monaco.

We have a Triple E Empress on a Freightliner chassis and have had brake dust problems as well. It caused alot of squealing from the brakes so I had all the shoes and drums replaced this summer. Problem is gone, however, I was advised that it could happen again. Freightliner said I could use a pressure washer and spray out the dust from time to time. The old brakes were still in good shape but I could not live with the brake dust that caused all that noise.

201 Holiday Rambler Ambassadors and Monaco Knights have several air bag protector nylon bristle brushes located in front of and behind the dually tires......they are too long and while traveling at highway speeds, they will be drawn up and on top of the tires and "tend to scuff & clean" all the road dust, dirt and debris from the tires.............consequently this "dust" is deposited and accumulated on the sides and rear of the RV. It appears as brake dust but is actually road dust. We shortened the length of the brushes but cutting them / shortening them so they would not make contact with the tires........and end of the problem. Freightliner in Ft Worth discovered the cause but not after disassembly of the entire brake system, tchecking all componants and assorted fixes and over 3 weeks in the shop. Monaco is now aware of the problem and should have notified owners and dealer service personnel.............good luck......dfw1ema