wc.morris

Towing 2011 Ford Edge

I have just bought a new Ford Edge with push button start. I am about to tow it for the first time. I understand how to get to the acces but not sure if the key button has to stay in the car or will it stay in the acces. when the key gets out of range. Need help.

I ALSO HAVE THE 2011 FORD EDGE 2WHEEL DR AND PUSH BUTTON START.

MY DEALER NORTHSIDE FORD EFFINGHAM IL INSTALLED A MONENTARY SWITCH

LOCATED ON CONSOL GREEN WIRE PIN 8 TO GROUND . YOU START CAR IN PARK

THEN SHIFT TRANSMISION TO NUETRAL THEN PUSH THE START/STOP BUTTON TO KILL ENGINE THEN A LIGHT ON DASH SAYS SHIFT TO PARK PUSH NEW MONENTARY SWITCH AND THE CAR THINKS IT IS IN PARK BUT IS IN NUETRAL READY TO TOW AFTER A FEW SECONDS ALL POWER TO DASH AND LIGHTS

'GO TO SLEEP' AS IF YOU DEPARTED YOUR CAR WITH HEADLIGHTS ON AND WATCH THEM GO TO SLEEP. CAREFUL CAR WILL ROLL IF NOT HOOKED TO MOTOR HOME. ALSO NO MILEAGE WILL SHOW WHILE TOWED. TO STOP BATTERY DRAIN

INSTALLED EXTRA TAIL / BRAKE LIGHT SOCKET IN EDGE TAIL LIGHT AND RAN WIRES TO MOTOR HOME LIGHT PLUG. SO ONLY A VERY SMALL DRAIN IS ON BATTERY TO KEEP EDGE COMPUTOR POWER ON SO IT WON'T LOSE MEMORY

I STILL NEED TO START EDGE FOR 5 MINUTES WHILE HOOKING TO TOW AND AT FUEL STOPS I ALSO REMOVE KEY FOB FROM EDGE SO DOORS WILL LOCK.

I had a 2006 Suzuki that when you towed it you had to stop every 200 miles and run the engine for 3 minutes to lube the transmission. I was wanting some thing a little nicer that I didn't have to worry so much about when I stopped, so the Ford Edge says stop and run engine when you fuel. So I bought it.

First trip I made a 250 mile trip when I got out to start and unhook the car the battery was dead. So I went by the Lithia Ford dealer where I bought it-- no help at all. They said they had a call into Ford and would get hold of me when they got back to them, that was the last AI heard.

So we were leaving for Arizona so thought-- lots of tow cars there they would have an answer, they did. Their answer was "we have found that you need to stop 3-4 times a day and run the engine for 15 minutes to recharge the battery or it will go DEAD. This is NOT WHAT IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL OR WHAT i WAS TOLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT. So now instead of a car I can tow 200 miles and run 3 minutes I have one that I have to stop every 100 -150 miles and run for 15 minutes, anyone interested in a class action suit?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Why not start by determining what is running down the battery and if there is way you can use a disconnect to prevent/reduce battery draw? Just a thought?

I have had the car to three dealerships, they check the battery and tell me there is nothing wrong. One in Arizona told me that they had found that you need to stop 3-4 times a day and run the car for 15 minutes to keep the battery charged. If you park the car not hooked to the motor home put it in neutral first click on key with door open dash light will stay on, second click on key dash lights go off except for transmsion position indicator lights. I let it set for 3 hours and battery dropped 1 full volt 4 hours and it will no longer start. My next step is bacck to the dealer where I bought it and talk to the general manager inatead of service managers.

I got back to Idaho and took it to Lithia Ford where I bought it. There they said, yes, it would go dead with long tows.

They offered to install a battery tender on the car to run off of the 12 volt on the motorhome so hopefully problem solved.

They said they have had to do this on cars that are parked for long times.