f233844

Do Campgrounds Maximize Their Profits?

On a recent trip, we pulled in to a campground, and I went in to register.

The young lady at the desk inquired as to what kind of hookup we wanted, I told her Water & Electric would be fine, looking out the window at my Type A she said that they required Type A's to have full hook ups.

She then asked if I had a 50amp power cable, I told her yes but I rarely pulled it out except when I needed both AC's relying on the adapter & the 30amp and the weather certainly didn't require that. If you've got 50 Amp that's what you need to take. When we got to the site the electrical box had them all, 50A, 30A, and a couple 20A's.

Extra passengers are charged for too, understandably, but when my brother-in-law went to use their shower, there's a coin slot, isn't that just a bit of overkill?

A big difference from other places we've been recently where they were honestly glad for my business.

I think I'm going to have to start voting with my wheels.

I see your location is on the East Coast. We found the campgrounds in the East, particularly in the NJ, DE, MD, VA area to have an attitude that said, "You should be thankful that we'll let you stay here." They were definitely not familiar with customer service! We also found many of them full because there simply aren't that many in that part of the country. So they can be as independent as they want and still get all the business they want. I've run into a few others in the NE that are the same.

Coin operated showers, I'd hook up the sewer hose and shower in the rig! I've only seen those at a state park in the black hills of South Dakota many years ago. It's the sort of thing you would expect in the desert but I guess the cost of water must be very high in that area.

I see your location is on the East Coast. We found the campgrounds in the East, particularly in the NJ, DE, MD, VA area to have an attitude that said, "You should be thankful that we'll let you stay here." They were definitely not familiar with customer service! We also found many of them full because there simply aren't that many in that part of the country. So they can be as independent as they want and still get all the business they want. I've run into a few others in the NE that are the same.

Coin operated showers, I'd hook up the sewer hose and shower in the rig! I've only seen those at a state park in the black hills of South Dakota many years ago. It's the sort of thing you would expect in the desert but I guess the cost of water must be very high in that area.

I live in Colorado and stay at many of the state parks here. All of them have coin operated showers. You get about 4 mins for $1. Don't believe I have ever seen a private campground in Colorado or anywhere else that had coin operated showers but I don't stay at many private campgrounds. I think the state parks here are very good which is why I use them. The overnight prices are very reasonable and I don't mind paying for the showers.

Thanks for you replys.

Yes, we're Northeast Coasters, and customer service isn't as good as out west.

This particular campground was in Canada, and was near Montreal.

We rarely use their facilities, but my brother-in-law always does.

I don't think there was a water shortage in the area.

When you levy charges based on number of persons, shouldn't that cover at least the basics?

State, National & Provincial campgrounds are a very good alternative when they are available.

Yes, I would think that a per person charge for extra people would cover everything. We have encountered parks where you pay a higher fee for 50A electric and then they want an extra charge to use your air conditioners. I figure I get 50A, if I need more than that I should pay extra but not the way they see it. It's their business they get to run it the way they want. If enough of us vote with our wheels they will go out of business. If they are the only park in the area, they can pretty much do what they want with extra charges and fees.

One more note, the costs of operating a shower include heating the water, assuming you are getting a hot shower. That is something I hadn't thought of previously. So another factor in the cost of showers is the cost of electricity or gas. In Colorado, water is a high cost commodity so I understand the coin operated showers especially in state parks where the fees are otherwise low.

Full Hook-Up

Plus Extra charge for 50amps

Plus Extra charge for A/C in summer Extra charge for Heat Pumps in the winter,

Plus Extra charge for cable,

Plus Extra charge for WI-FI.

Sure gives a whole new meaning to FULL HOOK UP doesn't It?

We were in a park on this last trip and there was a sign over the door inside the Office/Store/Lounge, that said:

"If you don't like the rules of the campground,buy it & write your own rules".

In this part of the country rates are often calculated on 2 adults & 2 children, never a discount for not having children, but there is a charge for extra adults?