desantis2009

Generator Only Runs When RV Is On

I have a 1999 Georgie Boy motorhome. The previous owner is very sick and I am waiting for him to recover to ask. Everything was fine, but then the generator wouldn't start with the RV off, and there was like a circuit blown somewhere because the slideout, A/C, and some electrical stuff would not work unless plugged into a land line. When plugged in, everything works fine. I have tried to find another fuse box but can't. Also can't locate the fuse box for the dashboard items.

Hopefully the previous owner will recover soon and can talk to him. It has to be a fuse or electrical wire that feeds all the same items?

Thanks

There is a power transfer switch which transfers the source of power from shore power to generator power and vise-versa. The switch on most RV's works automatically. It sounds as if the switch has failed. This would explain why you only get electric when connected to shore power. I suspect it also may control or affect the start/run function of your generator or your generator senses no power use and shuts down.

This switch is housed in a grey box about 8" x 8" x 4" somewhere in the bowels of the motor home. Look inside near the power cable connection, inverter, etc. The box houses 220V electric and should not be opened unless you are very comfortable with 220V electric. It is not easily repaired and likely will need to be replaced. You should probably take this to a dealer for repair.

Also, you might check to see if one of the two breakers on the side of the generator has tripped. Not sure what brand or model of generator you have, but my breakers are located on the righthand side of the generator.

OK, a couple of perhaps unrelated issues:

1. Generator won't start unless main engine running. That would suggest that the batteries that turn over the generator starter (most often the HOUSE batteries) are discharged or dead. With the engine running, the alternator is providing the amps to start the generator.

2. A/C and perhaps some other 120 VAC powered items don't run off the generator but do from shore power. First suspect is the ON GENERATOR breakers. There will be two of them. With generator off, turn both OFF and then back ON. If that doesn't do it, indeed check for power to both hot legs from generator going into the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

3. The vast majority of slides work no 12 VDC from the house battery. See #1 above. If it won't work with the main engine on, check for breaker or fuse in that circuit.

Brett