Sign in to follow this  
rtjennin

Parking Lot Accident - Damaged Roof

I hit a sign in a Taco Bell parking lot on HSY 72 North in Loudon, Tenn. I caught the edge of the sign and tore a gash in the roof.The sign was in a bad position on a corner of the lot and had obviously been clipped many times.

Anyone had a similar situation? I think Taco Bell has some liabiiity?

It is a TPO roof. What can I use as a temporary repair? The gash is about 8 feet long on the edge of the roof.

Guest BillAdams

Taco Bell has no liability. I am sure you can find a lawyer who will try to make them pay, however. If that's your idea or right and wrong you will need to contact a local ambulance chaser. I am very sorry to hear about your damage. We have gotten bit by badly placed boulders in campgrounds and scratched by poorly placed trees. I could have taken more time. Good luck with the repairs.

I had the same situation in a KOA in Florida with big Liveoak trees in bad places. They assumed no liability! :angry:

from http://www.roofhelp.com:

"Sealant & Roof Tape - This method of repair can be used on most smooth surfaced systems including Built-Up-Roofing systems, but is suggested for use on Single-Ply systems such as E.P.D.M. or PVC Thermoplastic.

To make emergency repairs using a sealant or roof tape membrane, start by cleaning the membrane surface with alcohol or a household cleaning solution, such as window cleaner. Then wipe the surface with a clean cloth and "splice cleaner" or white gas (use rubber gloves and proper skin protection).

After the membrane has been cleaned, apply a butyl or polyurethane sealant (caulking), or roof tape to the damaged roofing material. (Note: The surface must be clean for the repair material to adhere.) When using roof tape, pressure should be applied over the entire surface of the tape to ensure adhesion.

Sealants are available at most hardware, builders supply and home discount stores. A variety of roof tape products are also available. These products typically have a release paper on the backside and are a few inches wide. Roof tape products are also available through membrane manufacturers, roofing materials distributors, and roofing contractors. "

On any material, fiber glass, cast iron, rubber roof, etc. when planning to repair a crack or tear it is always good to drill or cut a small hole or circle at each end of the tear or crack. If not done the tear or crack can run.

The hole or circle will prevent the crack or tear from becoming worse

Just an old trick from 40 years of welding experience.

Hi all:

Just one question, do you have insurance? My brother-in-law had the same accident with his trailer. His insurance company replaced the roof for the deductible. Would contact my agent. to see if you are covered.

I know a new roof is not cheap, and it looks like you need a whole new roof.

Jim Moore