Sign in to follow this  
beamer704

Front Jack Will Not Retract All the Way

We have a 2008 Diplomat with the power gear 3 hydraulic jack system. When I hit the button to retract all the jacks, it makes a lot of noise while retracting.

The 2 rear jacks go up all the way, but the front one only retrieves about 3/4. Fluid level is fine, no leaks, and with the temps here in the 90s. I'm lost. I wiped them down with a clean cloth and sprayed 100% silicon spray on the cylinder.

Would it hurt to use a portable jack underneath and force it up?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul

I recommend you have it checked by a qualified RV repair facility.

I don't have the same set up as you but when mine won't retract (I have four), I can use a pry bar under the offending jack at the same time my automatic system is in the "store" mode. Goes up without any problem. If you check your manual, there should be an explanation as to hou to use the mechanism itself to rise the jacks. No matter how much I read it I'm simply not enough mechanically inclined to understand.

I had a 02 Dip.

The front jack would not go up all the way. Found out it was bent just a little bit.

I could use a jack on it with out a problem, but removed it and had the shaft straightened and all was well.

I had a similar problem with a couple of jacks and found that a 4' to 6' 2x2 could be used to pry the jack up into position, with the jack system in "store" mode.

When I had time, I went to a hardware store and bought two heavy duty springs about 12" long and used wire to install them in parallel with the original springs. I actually wired them to the "hooks" on the original springs. This actually solved my problem for a few years and when they, again, would not retract properly. I had the jacks replaced.

I think my jack extensions were slightly bent when I was on a front-end-down slope with the jacks extended pretty far and, without thinking, I released the parking brake prior to storing the jacks and I felt the MH move forward a bit. The service rep at HWH agreed with me that when the parking brake was released, the front jacks "caught" the weight of the MH and because they were greatly extended, they were slightly bent due to the "side forces" on the jacks. The rear jacks were not affected due to the fact that they were not extended very far.

The upshot is to NEVER RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKE UNTIL YOUR JACKS ARE STORED, especially if you are parked on a slope.