Sign in to follow this  
343coach

Winnebago Adventurer Heater Blower Location

We have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38G.

Yesterday morning I didn't have the 'Coach Heater' on for even 5 minutes when the blower stopped working after making a very loud and unpleasant sound.

I went through my downloaded wiring diagrams trying to determine just where it's located but had no luck.

Does anyone know where this blower is located and how to access it?

Troubled in the First State.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I assume you are talking about your propane-fired heater.

If so, it is easy to find from the outside. Look for an access door cut into the side of the coach, as the propane heater must have air coming from the exterior to support combustion and the exhaust from combustion exiting as well. The only other outside access doors will be for water heater and refrigerator.

Brett

There are many online forums regarding this issue. The blower motor bearings fail. It is located inboard of of your water heater (on mine, 32V, RH side of coach). If you stick your head in the water heater bay, you can see the heat ex-changer. It blows aux heat backwards through the duct used by your gas furnace while you are on the road. I have not had to remove the blower, but hear it is not fun. Sounds like best method in many cases is water heater removal first.

One of the prime causes of fan noise is unbalance and/or interference caused by mud dobbers setting up housekeeping on the fan blades.

In the off season, I use a cheap piece of fine nylon screen over the furnace intake/exhaust. I just open the door and trap the screen in the door as I close it.

Obviously, don't start the furnace with the nylon screen in place!

Another cause is that the fans (two-- one for combustion air and the other for hot air circulation in the coach) may have come loose on the shaft. Sometimes as easy as just tightening the set screw.

Also, the fan motor has BUSHINGS, not bearings. These can be oiled (I use sewing machine oil). But there is a lot of labor involved in removing it to lube. So, if you are paying for labor, probably better to just replace the fan motor.

340coach,

Welcome to the Forum.

On our first coach there was a junction box under the bench seat. It was like a plennum(?) with duct work coming from it. The blower fan was located there.

Hope you find yours. Winters coming on.

Thanks for all your posts on my first-ever use of the Forum. It's not the propane-fueled heater -- it works fine.

Southerly 001's post is likely what I'm looking for -- heat from the heat exchanger when the engine is running, controlled by the 'COACH HTR' rocker switch on the dash.

Thanks!

343 coach,

Like everyone else I thought you were looking for the coach heater not the dash air. I had a dash heater blower motor problem on my coach. I found the motor under and behind the dash panel on the co-pilots seat. It was in agreat location until you needed to repair or replace. Give that a look see.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your posts on my first-ever use of the Forum. It's not the propane-fueled heater -- it works fine.

Southerly 001's post is likely what I'm looking for -- heat from the heat exchanger when the engine is running, controlled by the 'COACH HTR' rocker switch on the dash.

Thanks!

Actually, I believe all of us were referring to the propane-fired heater, though this is a good time to point out that the more specific the question, the more the details on what is being asked, the better (and more helpful) the replies.

As you can see, the more information posted, the better the answers.

For a failure of the dash HVAC fan, start by checking it's fuse (12 VDC fuse).

Next would be to verify 12 VDC to the fan itself when the ignition is on and fan switch is on.

There is also a resistance block normally located close to the fan which determines fan speed. They can burn out as well.

Any other items that only work when the ignition is on not working-- that could indicate a different problem (ignition switch or ignition solenoid)?

Sorry if this sounds overly complicated, but chasing down electrical problem can be time consuming (though very logical), but is always a LOT cheaper than just starting to replace parts.

Brett

I believe he is talking about the MotorAid auxiliary heater.

Engine coolant is circulated to a heat exchanger tube welded to the water heater and then on to a radiator with a fan behind it. There is an AUX heat switch on the dash that turns the fan on. This will supply heat to the back of the motor home while the engine is running. It will also keep the water in the water heater hot while you are driving down the road.

There are a number of places where the fan/radiator is located depending on the floor plan. I would call Winnebago customer service with the VIN and ask them where it is. They will cross reference the VIN to the motor home Winnebago ID number. I would ask them what the ID number is and record it for future reference.