lp5151

Eastern Arizona Recommendations?

Question

We would like to spend a couple of weeks in eastern Arizona.

Does anyone have input as to where to stay and "day trip it"? places to see? etc..

We will be in the area around the end of March and first of April... hope it's not to hot.

2 answers to this question

Some friends and I spent a week in the Tuscon area last Fall. We stayed in a vacation home so can't comment on place to stay. However, I do remember a few cool places to visit. There is a Titan Missle Silo museum on the south side of town that was very interesting. Lot's of stairs to go down and then back up, but if you call ahead they will arrange it so you can use the elevator. Near the Air Force base is the Pima Air & Space Museum. It is one of the largest in the world and has all kinds of aircraft on display both indoors and out. And one of the most interesting places we visited was the Sonora Desert Museum. It is a combination of a zoo with many kinds of desert animals plus all kinds of cactus and other desert plant life. They even have a large enclosure with dozens of hummingbirds. You can go in and walk around and get within a few feet of all different types/colors of hummingbirds. Some will sit on the branches of the trees close enough you could almost reach out and touch them. And if you like Mexican food, there are Mexican restaurants on nearly every corner. We were only there a week so didn't have time to visit any of the surrounding areas. Oh, yeah ... there were hundreds of the Seguaro cactus (the tall ones with the long arms). Very interesting place. South of Tucson about 20 miles I think, was a community of artists. Many shops with hundreds of southwestern items. Can't remember the name of the place, but it is pretty well known so you can ask around and probably find out where it is.

This was my first visit to AZ since I was a kid, so everything was new to me. Really an interesting place to visit. We saw lots on RVs on the highway so there must be many RV parks around.

Hope this helps.

Jack

We stayed in Benson, AZ about 60 mi. east of Tucson along I-10, at San Pedro RV Park for a month in Nov.,2011. It is really a nice place with clubhouse,enclosed heated pool and gym. For those over 55, at very good prices. There are a lot of RV parks in the area to choose from, that and the economy keeps the rates down. The Dragoon Mtns. where Cochise Stronghold is, the Apache Chief, hide out is within sight of the park. It is about 25mi. from Tombstone. Bisbee, Sierra Vista and other towns are within a days drive of Benson.

Oh, and I love to go west of Tucson and walk in the Tucson Mountains where the Seguaro Cactus are!

OldAsDirt