Pryzl1

Insulation/Sound Proofing Generator Compartment

Looking for product recommendations to line my Onan generator compartment on a '76 GMC motorhome. Goal is to improve insulation and reduce noise level in the coach.

Several foil laminated Styrofoam or urethane products are available at Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards but not sure they withstand heat levels in the compartment.

Would appreciate comments and thoughts on this subject.

Pryzl1,

Welcome to the Forum.

Before you add extra insulation check with Onan for the recommended air space around the generator.

It needs a certain amount of space for cooling and air circulation.

Hi, you might try this site. I recently insulated the doghouse in our '87 Southwind with their Double foil faced insulation,which is about a 1/2" thick,It seems to be quite a bit quieter. They also have the correct adhesives..........They are located in Tukwilla Washington and Portland Ore. www.perfectfit.com They are a wholesale auto upholstery supplier.........................Good luck, Jerry

Go to: http://www.wricointernational.com/generator_bay/sound_vibration_reduction.html

I've seen this material in action inside a diesel generator "sound box" on bus conversions. You can stand next to a running generator and have a normal conversation.

My Onan hangs in the open under the floor and this material greatly reduced the noise inside the bedroom. Of course it didn't do anything for the noise outside.

Chuck