Sign in to follow this  
sheba-2@verizon.net

Refrigerator use during short-term storage

We have just started leaving our motorhome in storage at a nearby campground during the week so we can just drive there in our Jeep for the weekend. We have a 2004 37-foot Fleetwood Pace Arrow.

The first and second weeks we tried this, the refrigerator ran perfectly and the batteries held a strong charge. However, week three was totally different. The refrigerator had shut down because the batteries' charge dropped too low (approx. 3 amps).

We have plenty of propane. We have a solar panel on top of the motorhome to help keep the batteries charged. I turned off all of the circuit breakers. I leave the house batteries on and set the fridge to LP. What am I doing wrong? How long should my batteries last? They had a full charge when we left (approx. 13.5). Please help. Thenks, K&K.

I'm no expert. But I would opt for a new set of batteries. I find that my house batteries never last more than 3 years. Then they lose charge too rapidly. For me it is worth the hassle-free vacation to make the investment.

There are a number of 12V DC loads on a typical RV that are outside the circuit breakers. The smoke detector, CO detector, propane detector as well as the electronic controls on the air conditioners and the hot water heater. Check your owners manual for a complete list of these base loads on the 12V system that apply to your coach. These loads in total will likely exceed what the solar panel can replace even if the weather is nice and sunny every day. All the charge from a single solar panel does is delay the time until the batteries are completely discharged. If you have access to AC current but don't want to run the fridge on it, you could hook up a battery charger to your house batteries. Even a small electric charger would keep the batteries charged much longer.

As Tom said, your solar panel output may not be enough to overcome "parasitic" loads.

From your description, you are not storing the unit plugged into Shore power.

Indeed, as kalynzoo said, once batteries are completely charged, have the batteries load tested-- if original they are likely at the end of their normal life. Batteries can NOT be tested until they are fully charged.

If batteries test good, there are three options:

1. Store plugged into shore power and let your converter or charger maintain the battery charge.

2. Lessen the electrical draw by removing 12 VDC fuses from parasitic loads that you do not need.

Brett Wolfe