I am a motor home DUMMY. I am living in my parents motor home, 1993 Winnebago Adventurer,a 32ft. When I turn on the furnace, it runs, but only blows out cold air. I checked the manual for the furnace, but it doesn't tell me where it is located so that I can see the pilot light burning and that it is burning correctly. My Dad has beginning dementia and I don't want to stress him out by asking so many questions, so any help can be appreciated. I have searched the internet to no avail, looked at all his books, nothing. I have been using ceramic heaters for now, but when it got down to 23 deg, I sure could have used the extra heat! Thank you very much!

Linda22,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If you turn on the furnace and the fan runs, go walk around the outside of the coach and you will very quickly discover the source of the "noise" as well as air flow.

And, a 1993 model is very likely to NOT have a pilot light-- but you will need to open the outside access door and tell us the make and model for us to know. I suspect it has electronic ignition.

Normal furnace sequence is:

Thermostat signal to PC board.

PC board starts the fan.

If fan is moving enough air to close the "Sail Switch" the PC board turns on the propane and at the same time sparks the igniter.

So, places to start troubleshooting:

Verify that you have propane-- turn on a stove burner-- is the flame "normal size"?

If the fan is running, but nothing past that happens, the next thing to check is why the sail switch may not be closing. Inadequate air flow to close the sail switch can be caused by an obstruction of the air return (inside coach), closed vents, crushed ducts, low voltage-- with a digital voltmeter (start under $20 at Radio Shack, Sears, etc) verify that voltage AT THE FURNACE (outside panel) is at least 12.2 VDC. If lower than that, it is unlikely that the fan is turning fast enough to close the sail switch.

Please let us know what you find and we will be glad to help.

Brett

linda22, I am so sorry to hear about your father. Our prayers are with you.

On the outside of your coach there will be several access panels. Behind them are the water heater, refrigerator and one for your furnace. Each one should have a pilot light. They should all be lit. If none are lit then you might not have the propane turned on. Do you have Hot Water? If your coach has been sitting for very long you might have dirt dobbers nest in the burner that needs to be cleaned.

"Never in history has so many small things caused so much misery to so many."

Again, without knowing the make and model of the appliances you have, we can't tell you whether you will have a pilot light or electronic ignition.

Our coach is also a 1993, and all the appliances have electronic ignition-- none have pilot lights.

Brett is correct. Some coaches do have appliances with electric ignites.

But you again might not have the propane turned on. You may have hot water if your hot water heater also has a electric element and the refrigerator is on the AC mode.

Linda check in your compartment and check your propane tank to see if it might have been turned off when it was last put in storage.