Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Chassis Battery Discharged

I need some help!

I have a 2005 Country Coach Inspire 330

Today, after two months in storage, without being started, my chassis battery is discharged. I have had the coach plugged into 110/120 VAC shore power. My Xantrex Freedom panel shows my DC Volts at 14.0. I have NOT had my inverter turned on.

My question is, do I need my inverter/charger on to charge my chassis battery?

Thank you,

FMCA #423965

RJ

RJ,

No, you shouldn't need to turn the inverter on to charge the chassis batteries. Also, the 14.0V reading on your panel is for the house batteries, so they are fully charged.

I would get the coach plugged in to shore power and get the dead batteries charged fully up. Then load test the batteries and see how well they will hold a charge. Next, turn everything off and check if you have excessive amp draws while the coach is parked. With the results of those two tests, the solution should become clear.

BTW, How old are the chassis batteries?

Best wishes,

Tim

RJ,

Two other quick thoughts:

1. Welcome to the Fmca Forum!

2. Take a look at the other thread from a week ago entitled Chassis Batteries on 2005 Beaver Monterey. There are some good comments there which you might find useful for your situation.

Cheers,

Tim

As Tim suggests, check out that other thread.

Sadly, there are many coaches that do not charge the chassis battery from the inverter/charger. Many others do.

You will need to determine if your does/is supposed to charge both battery banks from the inverter/charger.

If not, there are several excellent devices that will keep the chassis battery charged up. Two different methods: A separate small output charger for the chassis bank. A battery combiner such as the Xantrex Echo Charger that combines both banks for charging when certain criteria are met (proper voltage) yet separates them when outside that voltage range so a load will not take down both banks.

Brett

Brett,

I do have an Echo charger that was factory installed in the coach.

Would you please walk me through the procedure I should take to trouble shoot this thing?

Thanks,

RJ

Guest Wayne77590

Just a thought passing through.

On some MH's, and I do not know if this applies to CC, the steps need to be in the "Off" setting or they will draw the battery down. I have a different coach, Kwikee steps, and once I figured that out I never had a battery drain. I also have to leave both the service and house disconnect switches on when hooked up to 110V so the Xantex can charge them.

Like I said, just a thought.

Troubleshooting:

With a digital voltmeter, check voltage:

1. House battery bank with inverter charger on, shore power connected: voltage should be from 13.2 to 14.5 VDC depending on whether the inverter/charger is in bulk, absorption or float stage.

2. Check voltage at the chassis battery, same conditions. If Echo charger is working, voltage at the chassis battery will be the same.

If #1 is below about 13 VDC, the Echo charger will not "connect" the house to chassis battery.

If #1 OK, but chassis batteries are lower than house batteries, check for an in-line fuse to the Echo Charger. If OK, then check voltage IN and OUT of the Echo charger. Your Echo charger book will give you the exact voltages at which it will "connect/combine" the battery banks.

Brett

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I ran all the tests that were suggested and discovered my relay was stuck open. Now it's closed and my Echo charger is working!

Thank you,

RJ423965