Sign in to follow this  
christod

Early Failure On Cat 3116 Reported?

I have just bought a used 1993 HMC 36 Ltd edition which is powered by a Cat 3116 turbo 250hp engine. The engine only has 49,000 miles.

I was told by a fellow RV er with a Cummins, that 3116s were known to have early failure rates around 80K miles that couldn't be fixed or rebuilt. Does any one know if this is true?

christod, Welcome to the Forum.

Does your engine hav CAT or CUMMINS? They are two different animals and two different Mfg.ers.

BrEtt will be posting you all you need to know about a Cat. engine, while I know a little about my 400 ISL Cummins.

Christod,

Well, I had better open the back of the coach and have a visit with my 3116-- it had no idea it was suppose to have issues at around 80,000 miles.

Current mileage is 158,000 miles with no failures.

And, the 3116 is rebuilt the same as a Cummins B engine.

As with any engine, maintenance over the years is an important determinant of engine life. If your valves have not been adjusted and injector timing set in 19 years, they might be correct-- the engine may fail. But, that would be the same on any engine-- do the recommended maintenance and they will last a LOT longer.

BTW, you should join the Caterpillar RV Engine Owners Club (an FMCA Chapter): http://catrvclub.org/

Brett