actionjackson

Step Well Cover, 2002 Journey DL

The step well cover on this coach has stopped functioning. It's supposed to operate from a switch on the passenger arm rest. The cover movement is powered by air pressure, over 60psi. There is an emergency air release valve which does work. The problem remains with the normal use of the step cover. When I press and release the armrest switch I can hear a "clicking" noise, somewhere deep within the dash. This tells me that the switch is working. I'm thinking that noise is/might be a malfuncioning air valve switch (solonoid switch).

Can anyone comment or offer an inexpensive fix.

Action,

Welcome to the Forum.

I had a step cover problem one time. Here is what I found.

My step cover also had an air cylinder. What happened was the bolt that held the end of the cylinder broke. You could move the cover by hand both in and out. I removed the top of the cover and the end (that is where the cylinder attaches) of the cover. The cylinder is connected to the air lines by quick disconnects. I removed the cylinder. It was mounted to the pan by a bolt that had broken. I got a much longer bolt and attached it to the cylinder end and secured it with a nut (really tight). Then I reconnected the air lines and stuck the long bolt through the bolt hole in the pan. Then I crawled under the coach and secured the bolt with a nut & lock washer. When you put the bolt on the end of the cylinder and tightened the nut, add several nuts so the bottom of the nuts are even with the bottom of the cylinder. Check the cylinder to make sure it moves correctly and reassemble the end and top.

Hope my repair helps your problem.

The broken bolt, doesn't seem to fit this situation. The drive bolt (line) visible from under the cover is intact and tight. I know it works because the manual air release allows the drive bolt to close the step. I crawled under the coach and found the Winnebago has completly enclosed the step assembly, so I think I'm back to my original supposition, ie. Air valve or some sort of solonoid. Any other thoughts?

Problem partially solved. The clicking sound was some sort of air pressure valve manufactured by RexRoth, part# PW67715-4. It appears as though the reset pops every time we attempt to use the steps. I think I'll have to have the solonoid switch replaced.