CleanLivin

Suggestions For Best Toad With Coach Going 70-72 MPH

Has anyone noticed that answers to a subject here on the Forum is like asking your wife how she liked the TV show and it ends up with why you waited so long to take out the trash. :huh: :huh:

I cannot comment on the speed as I have a tendency to have a heavy foot regardless of what I am driving. However, I can tell you that we tow a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and it is a breeze to hook & unhook. We are new converts from the travel trailer world, so most things would be easier to hook up than the distribution hitch etc, but it truly is easy. One thing that I did do to improve my sense of security was to get a key made that would turn the ignition (as that is a requirement in the owner's manual for flat towing to keep steering wheel from locking) but does not have the chip in it that most new car keys do which keeps motor running. That way I have no fear of someone taking off with my toad and I don't have to get the key out every time we stop.

We tow a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4 door unlimited Sahara way nice easy to hook and unhook new motor for 2012 has like 85 more hp any option you want I'm 6.3 and 285 no problem.

Researched the possibilities last fall and though I tend to travel lazily down the road, did not want any restrictions on speed or distance. Settled on a 2011 Jeep Patriot with a manual transmission which, per Jeep, may be "recreationally towed (flat towed) at any legal highway speed, for any distance, if the manual transmission is in NEUTRAL and the ignition key is in the ACC position."

22-28 mpg advertised ( I have not verified)

Edmunds.com lowest cost of ownership in 2011

Top safety pick by IIHS in 2012

Ours is a front wheel drive, but I believe the towing info is the same for 4-wheel models. If you are looking at Jeeps, you can go to Jeep.com, click the owners tab at the top and download the owners manual for any model in recent years.

On head room, I am 6' +/- and have roughly 4" of space noggin to headliner. Since all folk are not proportional, I just walked out and measured: from the seat up past the headrest to the headliner is 40".

One more bit: The online guides are good place to start, but I would advocate verifying the towability of any vehicle with the manufacturer. A well known online reference does not show the 2011 Patriot can be towed flat.

Hope this was worth the time to read it.

I vote Jeep Liberty. I really like mine. A Grand Cherokee is also in the same league just more expensive and a little more room and luxury. I try to stay with the traffic. I ran up on a convoy of 8 or 10 MH about two weeks ago on I-10 they were running about 60 when everything else was running 75 +. The truckers were not happy.

Politics, religion, and MPH affecting MPG are all touchy subjects these days!! If someone wants to drive 70-75 (their handling limit or the speed limit) go ahead. We will wave when we pass you at the fuel stop or the site of your accident.

cdfendly.....There is no lock in your 2012 wrangler steering wheel...They stopped putting them in I think i 08 or 09 ...The owners books have not been updated yet...why I don't no...I tow a 2011 Wrangler Rubicon 4 wheels down and have towed it 10,000 miles so far and no problem at all....so you can save yourself a key!!! I also tow around 70mph...Went to WV bout 4 months ago and towed 58 to 65 area ..got 7.50mpg....Went to Florida in Jan for the Daytona 500, towed around 70 to 72 and got 8.79mpg....Go figure...Butch

Just a thought there are in some states Axle speed limits! In CA more than 2 axles it is 55 or 65 depending on where you are and what freeway. Personally travel at a safe speed and remember you are braking some serious weight and reactions to road hazards can create a hazard with any of your vehicles.

We suggest printing the link and keeping it in the RV http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Blue Skies

Brad and Kathy