tireman9

Add Electric Brakes To Master Tow Dolly?

Have found 3 used Master Tow dolly locally at $750 - $1000. None have brakes which I definitely want.

I see that I can buy backing plates, Hubs and a wire harness from Master Tow for $300. If the plate & hub are standard trailer parts, which I would think they are, I might be able to cut the cost.

Is this just a bolt on swap? I am very handy with tools, just haven't been able to look at the Master Tow units closely yet.

Just did a lot of research on adding brakes to a Stehl. The major problems are the bearing size. Most use L68149 inter and L44649 (1 1/16 in. ID) for the outer. Mine had a L44643 outer (1in. ID) but the race is the same for both so I just used the L44643. You need to check the brake kit and see what size wheel it will fit also as most will only fit 14 in and up.

Cecil

Have found 3 used Master Tow dolly locally at $750 - $1000. None have brakes which I definately want.

I see that I can buy backing plates, Hubs and a wire harness from Master Tow for $300. If the plate & hub are standard trailer parts, which I would think they are, I might be able to cut the cost.

Is this just a bolt on swap? I am very handy with tools, just haven't been able to look at the Master Tow units closely yet.

Check with Northern Tool, Tractor Supply and or Harbor Freight. They all have sections with trailer parts. Spindles are fairly universal in size. Some have a differnt inner and outer size bearing and some are the same. I feel that it would be fairly easy to add electric brakes to the trailer but the coach may be a different thing. I think you can also get surge brakes at these places. Surge would require replacing the hitch for a surge hitch and adding Drums and backing plates with brake shoes.

Taking everything into account, material and time (Labor) it might be better buying a dolly that already has surge brakes on it. Surge brakes will allow you to pull a car with something other then the coach if needed.

I just purchased a complete Surge Disc brake system from E-trailer.com for $399.95 and it will work with 13in. tires. The sale lady said that there is a price increase soon. The kit number is T4843100 if you want to look it up online.

Cecil

The used dollies went fast so right now it looks like new. I have a local dealer of STEHL offering a dolly w/electric brakes 14" tires and tie down straps for $1399.

Dealing with local dealer would make any warranty issues easier to resolve.

Any comments or concerns with STEHL? One thing I would do right away is to confirm tire alignment and check bearing lube and electric connections.

I purchased this dolly last March from Richard (the owner) and haven't looked back. We tow a mini-cooper (CVT tranny) with our V-10, 35' Class A. The tow dolly comes equipped with surge brakes, LED lights, chains and straps. It is also very light weight so that you can easily manuever the unit anywhere on your pad site once the tod vehicle is removed. He is now offering what he calls an ASRP system on his newer version tow dolly. In a nutshell, you can load up and unload your tow vehicle in about half the time. You need to look at the video he posted to better explain the acclerated front tire cinching process and how fast his ASRP system works. Thinking of up-grading my existing unit, but we will probably opt for a seasonal this year vs. traveling, as we did last year (2011).

I much prefer the surge brake system because you can use any vehicle to tow the tow dolly and not worry about having to purchase and install a seperate electric brake system.

In your post, you requested info about STEHL. I know nothing about STEHL, but thought you should consider the ACME trailer and read my reply as a testimony of how pleased I am with this unit. One minor issue with the ACME trailer is that the loading ramps have to be removed and reattached everytime you load or unload your car. Minor issue for me. Some tow dollies have the loading ramps retract or fold under the unit.

Anyway, probably worth a quick research to look into the ACME trailer before you plunk down you greenbacks.

Good Luck!

Rob

http://cartowdolly.com/

Thanks for all the answers. I have decided on electric brakes so that eliminates some units. Am leaning toward STEHL as there is a dealer 10 miles from home and they want $1395. Having a dealer close by means I should not have any warranty issues.

Next up will be the in cab brake control. Am looking at Reese Pod or Brakeman.

Also some kind of splash guard to across back of the motorhome. Any thoughts on the one that are a brush like material. Do they work as well as the solid rubber sheer?

I have a Stehl and the brush type guard on the back. I think it works better than the solid as it causes some air turbulence. As far as the dolly I have not had a problem with it other than the ratchet with handle return spring. Not sure what you call the little part that broke but it is a cast part that locks the ratchet gear in place when you are releasing the strap. They do not sell parts for the ratchet and I had to make one. Did not want to spend $40. dollars for a 2 dollar part. Also the inner bearings and seals on mine are not standard size, so if you need to replace one on the road it could be a problem. I carry a set with me just in case.

Tireman, I'm sure you have thought of this but be sure and check width. I know that the narrower ones have limits to how wide a track toad it will take. Ask if the widest dolly will also take what the narrow one does. This will give you chances to tow different size vehicles.

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control.

Good luck.