Sign in to follow this  
Trekker

Can a Class A Gas Motorhome (Triton V10) pull a Grand Jeep Cherokee Comfortably?

Hello, I just joined the FMCA. My wife and I have purchased a 2012 Class A Gas Motorhome (Forest River Georgetown XL 337DS) with a Triton V10 engine . It is rated to pull 5,000 pounds. We are researching various toad vehicles using the Motorhome Guide to Dinghy Towing. The toad that we prefer is a Grand Jeep Cherokee. However, the Grand Cherokee is heavy. It weighs 4,850 pounds, which is at the upper limit of the Motorhome's towing capacity. Has anyone had experience towing the Grand Cherokee with a Class A gas motorhome with a Triton V10 engine? How does the Motorhome perform when climbing? The lighter Jeeps (e.g., Liberty and Wrangler) are not an option for us because they have gotten poor reviews by Consumer Reports, and my wife is not excited about driving them around town when we are not traveling with the Motorhome.

Everyone's advice (and experience) would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to FMCA.

We had a 2002 MH with a Triton V-10 and towed a 4200 lb car with no problems.

After a year of towing we added the Banks kit to the engine and it made a big difference when climbing hills.

Note, there are two numbers you need to verify:

Look up the GCWR of your coach. Subtract the actual loaded weight of the coach with all you gear, full fuel, etc. The difference is one of the important numbers suggesting the maximum you can safely tow. This also assumes you are using supplemental brakes on the toad-- read that section in your chassis owners manual.

The second number is the one you already mentioned-- hitch rating.

The LESSER of the two numbers is your towing limit.