Sign in to follow this  
f311250

Battery Replacement

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition and will need to replace the house batteries soon. Original installation was four 6-volt deep cycle batteries wired in pairs to produce 12 volts. Due to cost, I am considering installing two, or four, 12 volt deep cycle batteries as replacements since we almost never spend more than a day or so without shore power or use of the generator. Are there any problems doing this?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, you can use either 12 VDC deep cycle batteries or pairs of 6 VDC deep cycle batteries.

Number/amp-hr capacity is really dependent on whether you dry camp and/or want to be able to use an inverter.

If no dry camping and no desire to use the inverter, you can reduce the capacity of your battery bank-- either a pair of 6 VDC in series or a single 12 VDC battery.

You will find that two golf cart batteries wired in series are the least expensive way to get quality deep cycle batteries (as compared with finding true deep cycle 12 VDC batteries). And if no/very little dry camping and no significant inverter use, a single pair will provide you with around 220 amp-hrs @ 12 VDC-- a low but acceptable number.

You will need to weigh your use of the electrical system with budget/battery choices.

Brett

We are members of Sam's Club and bought four of their best 6 volt batteries for our coach three years ago. I think they were about $79 each. We had no problems and ample power for a overnight stay in Walmart or Sam's Club lots. Just looged into www.samsclub.com and found that their best 6 volt golf car battery is $88.74 ea in Indianapolis, IN.