Sign in to follow this  
Gerkum

454tbi Starting

Trying to start my 454tbi Pace Arrow. Turn the key to start position and nothing happens for 3 to 5 seconds then it starts. It runs for up to 10 seconds then stops. I have done this 5 times in a row and the same thing happens. All feedback appreciated.

Gerkum, Fuel supply problem !

How long has it been sense the fuel filters where changed?

Have you just filled the Gas Tank? possible fuel problem

How many miles on the coach? Possible fuel pump problem.

These are the items that come to mind with the information you have supplied.

Rich.

Turn the key to start position and nothing happens for 3 to 5 seconds...

Sure sounds electrical to me. Do other items that normally only work with the ignition switch ON work as they should, or experience the same delay???

Trying to start my 454tbi Pace Arrow. Turn the key to start position and nothing happens for 3 to 5 seconds then it starts. It runs for up to 10 seconds then stops. I have done this 5 times in a row and the same thing happens. All feedback appreciated.

**** and Brett, Both have valid points. If I understand, when you turn the key and nothing? Do you mean that no instruments move or light up? If so as Brett said you have an electrical issue. Do you hold the key to the start position and then the dash lights up and the starter starts the engine and it will run for 10 seconds and dies. When you try to restart the engine does nothing happen again for 3 to 5 seconds then it starts and runs for 10 seconds and dies. Doe it continue to run that 10 seconds after you release the key?

I would first change the fuel filter. Then check if it will stay running after that. If you still have the delay but it runs when it does start it sound like and Ignition Switch.

I would be willing to bet that the switch is a GM.

Herman

Herman,

As you say it does the same thing over and over. Turn the key to start - all lights are on - hold for 3-5 seconds and it starts. As Wolfe10 and **** and Lois mentioned a fuel or electrical problem.

I have checked or replaced fuel filters, etc. Your idea of ignition switch i will try next.

Thanks to all for the input.

Gerkum

If the starter is not turning during those 3-5 seconds, check out the the solenoid.

If the starter is turning during those 3-5 seconds, fuel pressure OR an electrical issue could be at fault.

Herman, Good thought and it looks like you could be correct.

Gerkum, I do not know if your ignition is like the GM Van style, but put this number into the NAPA web search block. KS6603

There are 5 or 6 in the series that have different pin and contact set ups. Some go into the steering column and others mount in the dash.

Rich.