Sign in to follow this  
lynnmcmillan

Internet In The USA For Canadians

Does anyone know how a Canadian can get internet service in their RV while in the states?

Canadian roaming charges are too high to make that option possible.

I'm looking to get phone/internet services in my motor coach while in the states.

We tried Time Warner, who used the CG cable to access the site, provided their own modem, and charged only 29.99/mo for the service. I put in the stuff myself so there was no setup fee. When it didn't work right away, their phone trouble line was helpful, pleasant and successful to get it running. Thay also had a promotion on, for a phone, first 2 months free. I told them I was not staying that long, but they threw it in anyway. All I had to provide was the handset, which I already had, for my Majic Jack. They are around most of southern California and Arizona, provided there is already cable they can come in on.

I had the same questions as we are going to be heading out on a long (9 mo) Canada & US trip. The best I have come up with is a Rogers Hub. They have an international plan and you can switch back and forth monthly between Int'l and Canada only. The cost isn't too bad but unfortunately it has a low data limit of 500 mb per month. The lowest cost is $35 for the Canada only another $10 if it is International. They start you at the lowest rate each month and bill according to your usage. I figure if I use it mostly for email and very light internet and supplement my usage with available wifi in the parks I may be able to get by with the minimum plan. I abhor contracts but it was explained to me that if I sign a contract and cancel it before the end I am only billed for the prorated amount of the equipment costs plus $12.50 (ie- if the equipment is worth $300, I got it free on a 3 yr contract and cancelled after the end of 2 yrs I would owe $112.50) I was told there is very little coverage in NFLD if that is a concern for you.

That only covers the internet question. For telephone we use a Net10 phone and keep it active by prepaying $15 mo for 200 min, which do roll over.You can call Canada at the ratio of 1.5 min=1 min talk time.

Hope that helps.

Hi lynnmcmillan, my wife Susan and I are in Indio Ca. part of the winter, we bought a stick from T-Mobile, its a pay as you go stick. It cost us $30.00 for 1GB for 30 days. Its more then enough for us to Skype our kids and grandchildren as well as pay our bills. We us it all over the U.S and really like it. We also do the same with a cell phone. It works for us and may be something for you to consider. Smokeater75.

I agree with smokeater, we also went with T-Mobile pay as you go except we purchased the MIFI device , not the stick. Same idea however. We purchase device at a US Walmart , the pay as you go data cards as well.

A $35 card from Walmart is good for 3.5 GB. for 60 days, $25 good for 1.5 GB. for 30 days. Coverage has been good. We didn't fine T-Mobile been sold in every Walmart , had to check at a couple of Walmarts in different areas to find T-Mobile device & cards.

Contact ICoach, in Ontario, they sell a system that utilizes a telus key fob but takes it a few steps further. You purchase, for 1K, the modem, signal filter and best of all antenna and have it all installed in your MH. The modem will also let you go wireless WiFi with all the security bells and whistles but I use hard wire and shutoff wireless, stops any klingons. The plan is expensive at $90/month for the international plan but any roaming charges are covered within the plan. Basically if you're cellphone works ICoach will to with a lot more signal power, and you'll have your very own internet access thats very secure and you don't have to share with anyone. http://www.icoach.net/home.php

Just curious Greg, do those cards start counting the 30/60 days when you purchase them or when you first use them? I was wondering if you could buy several if you had a long trip planned without them expiring before you used them.

Jack

Verizon has the best coverage in the states. They sell prepaid USB modems with a preset amount of data and more data can be added.

I don't see why a Canadian can't buy one but you should be able to call them and find out.

Hi jrwitt,

The data 30 or 60 day time starts when you register or activate the card. I have purchased a card when leaving the US from a US Walmart so that I have it on hand to start service when returning to the US the next time. Also I can check in on my T-Mobile account to see days left & data used so far during the 30 or 60 days.

I was almost going to buy the Virgin MIFI device at US Walmart but learned the coverage isn't as good , but it's also not expensive to keep going, data for Walmarts Virgin cards where $20 , 30 days, 1GB.

As ClayL mentioned, Verizon has the best coverage but when I checked prices data was more expenive, I believe from US Walmat is $50 , 30 days, 1 GB.

See Walmarts US info on T-Mobile:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-35-Prepaid-Mobile-Broadband-Pass-Email-Delivery/21191046?findingMethod=rr