derh2o

2012 Ford Focus-Braking System

Here I go with another question. We have a 2012 Ford Focus on order and I am doing the rest of my homework. I am now having difficulty finding a supplemental braking system. Roadmaster says none of their systems will work on a Focus. I talked to SMI about their Stay & Play Duo, and without a pause, was told no problem. That raised a red flag. Does anyone know who makes a braking system that would work on the 2012 Focus?

derh2o,

Welcome to the Forum.

Check the Forum under towing. There are lots of Blogs about towing the Fords. I would check it out before taking delivery of your new Ford.

Herman

Guest BillAdams

First, no matter the law, please don't go anywhere without a braking system on your toad!

You might want to check out M&G to see if they have a system that would work for you.

http://www.m-gengineering.com/

If they do, this is an excellent braking system (I would consider it to be the best of them all). It works great, it's easy to setup and there is nothing inside the towed to mess with. It is certainly not available for all setups but it's worth looking to see if one is available for your car.

Bill, You are correct about M&G. It's kinda like American Express,"I never leave home with out it". I checked and they do not make a brake for thr Focus. Like a lot of front wheel drive vehicles there isn't enough room to move the master cylinder out far enough.

derH2o,

I have been the Product Development Manager for Roadmaster since 1978, and was the sole developer for each of our braking systems. We research all new vehicles extensively and have no reason to believe there are any issues with any of our systems working on a 2012 Ford Focus with a manual transmission. However, the automatic transmission requires the battery to be disconnected, per Ford's engineers. So if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to disconnect the battery, which kills the power and the power source for the braking system will have to come from a 12-volt outlet kit and a stoplight switch kit in order to use one of our braking systems.

Please note that Ford's engineers have asked us NOT to recommend our automatic battery disconnect on this vehicle due to the steps that the vehicle goes through in preparation for towing.

If you have any specific concerns about this, please feel free to PM me or call our tech support at 800-669-9690.

Mike Cannon

Product Development Manager

Roadmaster, Inc.

Mike Cannon,

Good to know. You might want to update your local techs here in Vancouver, WA. Two of them have told me that Roadmaster "does not have ANY braking systems for the 2012 Ford Focus. I don't know what these 2 items needing to be added are, but I will check into them as I have not had the brake system installed yet and would prefer the Invisibrake. I will call your technical support line on Monday.

We have a 2012 Ford Focus.

We have towed it more than 2,500 miles With no problems. We use a RoadMaster model Number 9300 Braking System Powered from the coach as the Focus Battery has to be disconnected to tow the Focus. In fact, all the power for the lights and brake system come from the coach.