windsport

Back Up Camera Intermittent

The screen on my back up system often stops working and says "No Signal.". This usually happens when I need it most. The dealer said they replaced the camera, but the problem still continues 8 months later. Of course when I take it in, it works!

I am a fairly new member also. It may be a ground connection with the camera or a loose connection with the cable. I had to remake up my ground connection at the camera to solve my problem. It may look OK, but it is best to disassemble and remake the connection and make sure the metal is shiney before re-assembly. To access the camera, you may need to remove the cover in the back cap. Has the roof been replaced?. If it has, it could be that they nicked the cable as some are routed under the roof, not the bottom. Anyway, a couple thoughts on what may be wrong for whatever they are worth.

Terry

Some of the splices in the cables that connects the camera to the cables that run from the rear camera to the dash have been poor from the factory.

Rich.

We discussed this problem at my former forum, I was surprised at how often it happened. In my own case, we sometimes get the famous "Blue Screen of Death," that grim mainstay of Windows personal computers, and cure it by turning the system off then on.

Cleaning and tightening the connections is still an open item in my maintenance logbook, 'hope this effectively stops the nuisance.

Something is loose. My two side cameras work...then don't work...then work again. Something is loose.

Allegiance,

Loose or intermittent! Each camera has is own circuit wiring.

Thinking its a switch issue. The cameras are activated by the turn signal switch in most cases. So if they both are acting up, is it the same frequency for both?

The cameras are always on when the ignition circuit is active, the turn signal switch feeds power to the source input on the monitor thus selecting the side camera for the direction you are turning.

You might be able to interchange the side cameras with the rear view camera input to see if the cameras are at fault or the switch for the turn signal feed to the monitor, or the soft switch(relay) inside the monitor that controls what camera is displayed on screen.

Hope these thoughts help.

Rich.

Allegiance,

Loose or intermittent! Each camera has is own circuit wiring.

Thinking its a switch issue. The cameras are activated by the turn signal switch in most cases. So if they both are acting up, is it the same frequency for both?

The cameras are always on when the ignition circuit is active, the turn signal switch feeds power to the source input on the monitor thus selecting the side camera for the direction you are turning.

You might be able to interchange the side cameras with the rear view camera input to see if the cameras are at fault or the switch for the turn signal feed to the monitor, or the soft switch(relay) inside the monitor that controls what camera is displayed on screen.

Hope these thoughts help.

Rich.

"Loose or intermittent"...who knows. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Mine are activated by a left/right arrow as well as the turn signal. They always work with the L/R arrow, not so with the turn signa.

Just Got back from a road trip. You have basically answered the question.

Everything works when you push the manual selectors for the side cameras and not with the turn signal switch. That leaves the circuit that is activated when you use the turn signal lever.

The harness from the signal switch should have a contact(s) from the switch that feed power to the monitor via a hard wire circuit or relay.

You mention that both left and right side cameras are affected, this leads me to be leave the problem is in the voltage supply wiring that feeds the monitor switches-- a loose 12 volt wire somewhere in the turn signal switch or in the harness running from the steering wheel to the (A) connector in the area around the steering column area. Check for a loose ground connection also !!

There just might be a loose connection at the (or a connection) at the monitor its self.

The cameras are working if when you select them manually they produce a clean picture !!

Rich.

Could you post the make and model of your backup monitor. That way I might be able to find more info. regarding the wiring required or used to switch the cameras using the turn signal circuit.

Rich.

Thanks for your PM, Rich, I had forgotten about this thread. We are on the road now, and my symptoms have changed. Left signal works fine by using the turn signal or the arrow button below the screen. The right signal now works on neither the turn signal or the arrow, all I get when activating either is a totally black screen. Rear works fine. I can not fine the name of the manufacturer on any of my paperwork or on any of the hard ware.

That things have changed adds to the info. When you get a chance send me a picture or two by PM and I will do a little detective work and see if I can pin down some additional info. Add you make, model and year of the coach.

Maybe I can get lucky.

Rich.

You might check the harness plugs. Make sure they are clean and if the prongs are split take a knife and widen it a little. Use dielectric grease on the connections, such a DC4 compound. You might try plugging the left camera into the right harness to see if it is the harness or the monitor switching.

While looking up information on Allegiance40x's Coach I found this information:

Fleetwood RV, a leading manufacturer of recreational vehicles, announced that its American Coach line of luxury motor homes will offer the Lectronix Navion R5000 driver information system as a standard component in its 2008 Eagle, Tradition, and Heritage motor homes.

Information is available on this system. Users Manual Link.

http://www.lectronix...User_Manual.pdf

This is a software operated system.

http://www.lectronixinc.com/support/R5000.html

Rich.

That's what I have, the R5000. It is a screen that combines all audio systems (AM, FM, Sat), Garmin GPS, front and side cameras, all vehicle systems and more.