thelusks

Step Switch Override

I had a new motor installed on my step. Everything is great except that the override switch does not turn off switch in down position when we are parked. I have looked at the switch which has three wires attached. I have switched all 3 in various combinations and no matter what it will not keep the step from tucking back under or extending out depending on if the door is opened or closed. The switch was also installed new at the same time the motor was installed. I guess it's not a big deal since we have also experienced the step not going back up and thats a real pain when your driving down the road.

It may be that your step is wired wrong and it is receiving power from your ignition switch. In other words, the step may think the coach is running

Richards thoughts are valid. However, the fact that the step retracts when the ignition is off should negate that as a source of power, unless there is an issue with the switch.

Thinking the power is coming from the magnetic switch at the door, and when the ignition switch is off that should open that as a power source.

When one wants to retract the steps, when parked. There is generally a manual override switch in the step power circuit.

Two links to some technical information on 2 different setups. Look them over,one should match your system. The circuit drawings should help pin down the problem. Chime back in when you fine the one that matches your setup. Hope one of the manuals matches !!!

http://www.stromberg...ectric+RV+Steps

http://support.power...low%20Chart.pdf

Rich.

To clarify my previous statement...

In a normal installation, there is a lead from a power source that is energized when the ignition is turned on. Under normal operation, if the step is deployed and the door is closed, turning on the ignition key would retract the step regardless of the setting of the override switch. In addition, opening and closing the door while the ignition is turned on would extend and retract the steps.

Now if the lead that is supposed to go to the ignition is not going to the ignition and is always energized the step would extend and retract regardless of the position of the switch. This is the scenario the original poster has brought forth. He opens the door and the step extends. He closes the door and the step retracts. Both happen regardless of the setting of the override switch.

I would check the wiring, first by identifying what step you have and then going to their web site. You can also discuss this with the business that installed the step. I doubt the issue is the switch and if the magnetic switch in the door was defective the steps would not work at all when opening and closing the door.