Sign in to follow this  
bobkathfl

1998 Tradewinds Odometer Sporatic Readings

We purchased this MH in 2008. National Tradewinds Freightliner chassis and a Cat 3126 300 HP. The odometer registered but when the ignition was turned off it reset to 9596. The trip worked fine and that is how I keep track of miles for all maintance and fuel economy. Recently the trip odometer locked up, it could be reset but stayed at 0 but after a short stoppage it worked again. This whole scenario repeated and included the speedometer. The last time I drove it all worked.

Any ideas

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Contact Freightliner in Gaffney, SC. This is a reasonably well known issue. Freightliner: 800 385-4357 need VIN

Brett:

Thanks for the lead, Gaffney stated the problem is in a module that needs to be replaced at an estimated cost of $12 -15k. I am going to find and install a GPS driven speedometer odometer.

Bob

Sounds like a good plan !!

Missed reading this thread earlier.

One could get a scanguageD for diesels with both a 9 pin and 6 pin connector on it from camping world. That should read out your millage from the ECM and road speed; plus some other good information.

Not bad for around $160.00

Rich.

I've been testing a ScanGaugeD and it works very well. Also gives a lot of other data, MPG, MPH, Oil Pressure, engine temp, etc.

A lot less expensive than a Road Relay from Cummins.