Sign in to follow this  
drother

8.1 Workhorse Gas Pedal Problems

I have a 2003 chasis with a 8.1 Workhorse engine.

Last weekend 8 different times it seemed like my gas pedal became inactive. The motor was still running but when I stepped on the gas pedal nothing happened. I turned the motor off and it would restart with no problem and I could drive away. It would be fine for 10 minutes to 30 minutes before it would do it again.

There are no trouble codes in the computer.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

Welcome to the Forum.

If I remember correctly your gas pedal is not mechanical but an electric rheostat . Is may have some flat or burnt spots, With the engine off try pumping the pedal several times. Then try it with the engine running. It may be that you will need to replace the unit, I would bet dollars to donuts it is a General Motors part.

Herman

Dennis, I have a set of manuals that cover the Engine and will look and see if I can fine the problem listed.

You mentioned that no code set,so I have to agree with Herman that its an input issue to the ECM.

Places like Auto Zone have a small code reader and sometimes the code will set, but will be stored in the ECM as a fault and not set a code.

There is a Throttle Actuator Module that feeds information to the PCM (Power train Control module).

OK, There are 2 sections of the Throttle Position Sensor-- total of 6 wires. Connects to the TAC Module.

Also connected to the TAC is a Throttle Actuator Control Motor. This control assembly connects to the Powertrain Control Module and sense you have no codes set, it looks like the problem is indeed in this area.

I'm leaning towards the Module area, because it works then quiets after around 30 min. This module feeds UART Data to the PCM unit.

There is a ground circuit that could be an issue ( Loose or oxidized) 12 total connections on the TCA Module.

There could be a bad connection, Faulty Throttle Position Sensor , TAC Motor issue or the TAC Module.

This issue is beyond most people only because of some very specific information... and tools required.

Rich.

Manual Reference section 6-3130 for wiring information. GM Service Shop Manual.

Thanks to both of you. I thought the same thing even thougth it tests fine. I fogot to mention it was very hot the days it happened so maybe the heat had an affect on it. I will double check all connections and if I don't find anything I think I will just replace it to be safe.. Thanks Dennis