Sign in to follow this  
lloyd21

Dead Batteries

Can I charge my batteries with a normal charger? My batteries are new and I think I left the refer on and they are dead-dead-dead, only a week old.

Yes, a 12 VDC charger will charge them up. If 12 VDC batteries just connect to the positive and negative. If two 6 VDC batteries in series, connect positive to the battery's positive post that goes to house positive and the negative to the other battery's negative post that goes to house ground. Said another way, on two 6 VDC batteries in series, do NOT connect either charger lead to the terminals with the interconnect between the two 6 VDC batteries.

Brett

How long do you think I should charge them,? And by the way thanks for all your help, your advice on cleaning the radiator and turbo cooler got me back on the road.

Again thanks.

lloyd21

Charge time depends on size of battery (in amp-hrs), output of charger (in amps) and whether it is a smart charger (starts at higher voltage then lowers it as the batteries become fully charged) or a "dumb one that charges only at a lower constant rate.

If it has an ammeter on the charger, let it run until it is down to 2-3 amp charge rate.

With many, it will take overnight to fully charge.

Also, if you are driving, the engine's alternator will charge them (assuming the charging system is working properly).

Brett

Thanks for your response.

I bought new AGM batteries, first trip they dimmed and shut off. Have I got the Inverter set correctly? The cranking batteries are doing just fine, The MH was under power when they went dead. They were running the amp, TV, DVD player while under way, also lights, as I am not with them I can't say for sure.

Something is way wrong. Not know anything about the inverter or how it is set would leave us unable to answer that question but clearly, assuming your inverter is also a charger, you do need to start your investigation there.

With the coach plugged in you need to check the batteries with a multi-meter and confirm that there is 13+V DC being provided to the batteries. If not you will need to start back at the inverter/charger to find out why it's not charging.

As Bill said, you have something (actually, may be more than one thing) very wrong.

While driving, the alternator should have easily supplied the electrical needs of both your battery banks and that light load on the inverter.

Same for the inverter/charger keeping up the house batteries while on shore power.

Start by rechecking electrical connections at the batteries. If OK, then you will need to pull out your digital voltmeter and start troubleshooting.

Post the voltage readings at each battery bank when:

Engine off, no shore power, no generator.

Engine on and at 1,200 RPM, no shore power, no generator

Engine off, shore power on, no generator

Engine off, shore power off, generator on.

Brett