hcoffman@verizon.net

Rear camera installation for Class C

Hello, I am new to the CLass C. I have a 31 ft Coachmen and need a rear camera. Hoping someone has suggestions of which one and how to install it. I'm trying to save money and the cameras in catalogs start at $1,000.00. without instalation. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks.

There are wireless cameras on the market now and I would consider one of them with the possible complication of the greater distance between the normal car application and the length of your Class C. Many that I have seen are license plate installations, fitting onto the rear license plate bolts. I would plan to install your rear camera near the roof line of the rig if at all possible. This keeps it out of much of the dirt and spray you will have near pavement level with the Class C. A good rear view camera is essential in a vehicle this size.

Even with a good rear camera, there is no substitute for having a team mate watching your back side when backing up. I have had several close calls when backing up without someone watching my rear end when backing up. Once a stick from a nearby tree punctured the fiberglass rear near the roof, out of sight of the camera. Another time a tree limb hooked under the slide out cover fabric and tore it several inches. It is impossible to see everything.

Hello, I am new to the CLass C. I have a 31 ft Coachmen and need a rear camera. Hoping someone has suggestions of which one and how to install it. I'm trying to save money and the cameras in catalogs start at $1,000.00. without instalation. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks.

I saw a simple camera for $100 at the local auto parts store. The camera attached to the license plate. Probably good enought to avoid hitting a car behind you but I have not used so I agree with Tbutler that having some watch when you are parking.

Try to Google back up camera for car and you will find a lot in the $100 range. I found one at $72!

When it comes to camera, you get what you pay for. I do not recommend wireless as they lots of problems.

Stick with hard wire.

Digital cameras are best. Color cameras and monitors are best in seeing and differentiating objects.

There are two types of cameras, those made for stick houses and those made for the abuse of moving vehicles.

There are three kinds of back-up cameras. Stationary, tilt (moves up and down), and a Pan and Tilt Camera giving a view of 180 degree .

I myself have a Total Vision Camera System on my Class A Outlaw (scroll down). :rolleyes: I love my pan and tilt back-up camera as it will show my hitch ball and adjust up and over my tow vehicle, and will pan to the sides showing areas that are blind spots on other back-up cameras.

The cost of a quality camera is cheaper than increased insurance rates for accidents, the cost of deductibles, the cost of property damage of other property, the lost time of having a RV in the body shop, and the memories of hitting something.

Sam's Club had a wireless Peak brand 7" color screen for about $100. It has been on their auction sight for much less.

I have had one for about a year. Works fine with a little interference static. I just put 1a 12v line filter on the power source for the camera to try to end the minor static. But I have not tested it on a rough road yet.