Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Will Super WiFi Come On-line

Well, just been reading some information regarding WiFi systems and this information came up.

There is a possibility that a new WIFI band may come on line. It works in one of the old VHF bands that is not being used.

The system will require different equipment to use the band,but it will have a rang of 100 miles / 160 kilometers.

Have to see what the data rate will be and what the start up cost might be.

Should some of you readers see some additional information post it and we can see where it goes.

It looks like the FCC is on board, think they are looking for revenue more then user bandwidth;but it will be interesting to keep an eye on things.

Rich.

The TV channels that were available to you "used" to go up to 65. Today the highest UHF channel your TV can receive is channel 52. The channels 53 and up are/were to be sold off and used for wifi services. The costs are enormous and it will be interesting to see if anyone can or will use them. They would have to provide better service than cellular at a lower cost and I find that to be a questionable proposition with the advent of 4G services.

Doesn't sound practical to me. Two problems I see. With a range of 100 miles, the number of users on a single point could be enormous. The more users the slower the system, no matter how fast it functions. Second, this is a two way system, your computer or hot spot equipment has to broadcast back to some point. If that is 100 miles away I don't want it sitting on my lap. If the returns are picked up locally then why have just a single point 100 miles away?

The TV system is in almost all cases a broadcast or one way system. The TV system is also a take-what-you-get system, they send out a signal and you can take it or leave it. A 100 mile range was practical and useful. The number of users didn't affect the speed or strength of the signal. But with a two way system the dynamics change. Now you have users requesting a wide variety of content and the system has to handle incoming requests, not just an outgoing signal.

Perhaps this could be a satellite based system and be made workable, we already have internet satellite available. The problem is the uplink equipment cost about $5000 the last time I checked. That limits the number of users but also means most of us are happy to settle for a $100 hot spot.