Sign in to follow this  
coachinit

Newmar vs. Entegra

OK, I'm not brand new to RVing, I have a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star. I love my DSDP, we think the quality of Newmar is outstanding. I've been reading and searching, and of course everyone has there own preferences. But, I wanted to see if anyone has compared head to head the Newmar against the Entegra. It seems that Entegra gives you more for the money. We are looking at an Entegra Anthem or either another Dutch Star, or if the budget allows, a Mountain Aire.

I also have an 05 Newmar Dutch Star and I'm happy with it. I did look at the Entegra Cornerstone while at the Indy FMCA convention as I'm considering upgrading, but didn't have a good impression. The build quality just didn't seem that nice too me, just my impression from examining the unit closely. To be fair, I'm not real impressed with the build quality of any of the new units I examined. I don't get the sense of richness in the wood, as the woods almost look plastic. However the counters do look much better now, compared to years ago. I'm considering going with an all electric unit and do like the newer technology being used in the units. I may wait for the 2014 models and see if anything new develops.

Washbob - I do love our DSDP and I agree with you as far as the richness and quality. I like the new tile floors they are putting in. I'm in the process of changing out the tile in our coach now. I'm going to take out all the tile and the carpet forward of the bedroom and go with a porcelain tile. My only thinking with the Newmars is that they now have the Freightliner chassises and I'm not sure I'm digging the full wall slide.

I've pored over both makes, talked to a dozen or so owners of each online. Fit and finish in the Newmar is not without flaws, but is significantly better than Entegra. In the materials department, I noticed the same difference mentioned above, with Newmar in the lead.

We also have a 2004 DSDP, a 4009:

1-Not impressed with the new models as far as fit & finish of the woodwork.

2- The Freightliner chassis. We really like ours & the Spartan chassis.

Since ours has only 50,000 miles on it we have upgraded all the electronics, new tires & batteries & look forward to many years of RV'ing in it.

Newmar makes some beautiful coaches. Look at any purchase with pros and cons. We almost got a Newmar, it was a tough decision, but would have been happy with either.