Xplorer

Pictures of RGV Texas Tops Install of 2013 Sonic Baseplate

Does anyone have a recommendation in the RGV to have a baseplate installed on a Sonic?

Did a search on RVServicereviews.com.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, Texas Tops gets the Job tomorrow..........Hope it goes well.

I am familiar with two service centers in the RGV. Both these dealers are in Mission, Texas on the western end of the RGV near McAllen, Texas. Of these two, I prefer the Bert Ogden service center. Bert Ogden is a major auto dealer in the RGV with a dozen dealerships including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac.

Bert Ogden Rio Grande Valley RV

1400 E Expressway 83

Mission , TX 78572

956-585-4444

Camping World

1325 E Expressway 83

Mission, TX 78572

956-585-8396

These are the three Blue Ox dealers listed for the RGV. I am only familiar with Ron Hoover and have shopped there for parts, They have a very large dealership and the most extensive RV parts inventory I have ever seen on display. Donna Texas is in the central valley, midway between McAllen and Harlingen. La Feria is near Harlingen, Texas.

Ron Hoover RV & Marine

Donna, TX

956-464-7826

Texas Trader

La Feria, TX

956-797-3000

Swenson RV

La Feria, TX

956-797-9223

With the exception of Swenson RV, all the service centers are located along US 83 which runs through the heart of the RGV.

I have the Blue Ox Aventa LX which is compatible with the BX1703 base plate for the Sonic.

CW is no longer in the RGV according to their website. CW would not be an option for me, I do not have confidence in their tech skills.

I was told Chevy dealers are not authorized to install base plates due to liability issues.?????,,,,after market products????

Ron Hoover seems to have good reviews, but they are over priced imho. They did take the time to provide a detailed quote by email.

R

Looking for some other options in the valley to compare costs.

The front of the Sonic has to be removed, and portions of the bumper and grill trimmed for the baseplate to fit. The directions says 3 hours to do the work. RH estimates 4 hours for the base plate and 2 hours to install the independent lights that do not tap into the auto, and powered by the MH.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Texas Tops completed the install of the Blue Ox BX1703 base plate and BX8869 independent wiring kit. I provided both parts.

BX1703 $326

BX8869 $42

Texas Tops

Install of both, $216

including plug,

tail light bulb

and Taxes

Total Cost $ 584

An RV Dealer wanted $1200 for parts and Installation.

It pays to shop and ask around.

I was able to watch the Texas Tops installation. They did a great job at an excellent cost. They started at 9 finished by 3 with lunch break. I figured they worked about 5 hours.

Installation pictures; before, during, and after:

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

The first trip towing the Sonic 375 miles was problem free.

I learned that once the DLIS fuse is pulled and the tranny is placed in Neutral and the key is still in the acc position with the instrument lights on. If left in this position, the Sonic adds miles to the odometer.

However, turn the key to the acc position without the instrument lights on, the Sonic does not add towed miles to the odometer, this position still displays the digital odometer reading .

The owners manual has limited information about towing the Sonic, and the Service Manager had a little less knowledge than the manual.

Setting the Sonic for towing has seems to be as easy if not easier than the Liberty, accept pulling the fuse, which is easily accessible under the dash. Using a fuse puller and small light makes removing the DLIS fuse an easy task.

We'll see how it tows long term, initial experience indicates that it is a nice little toad, and about 1200 lbs lighter than the Liberty. Around town mpg runs between 25 and 27 mpg. Haven't made any trips over the road, so no report on highway mpg.

The last fill-up was nice when it came in under $30 instead of the $50 plus.Sometimes I miss the Liberty.