Sign in to follow this  
BENBOM

Safety Course

We have been a member of FMCA for a couple of years to get information. We just purchased a 2005 Alpine 34' coach. My insurance company wants a certificate that we have completed a safety course. they also want information about safety devices in the coach itself such as gas detectors for the LP system, etc. Can anyone give me some guidance as to where we can go through a safety course? We will be picking up the coach next weekend (10-21-2012) and driving it home.

Thanks

Brian Enbom

Brian, Many safety systems are already on the coaches. Make a list, like ABS, Daytime running lights and the ones your insurance agent wants and go over them with the seller, also get them to spend some time going over things in general. The where, what and how on things. No two units are alike regarding where things are located. Like disconnect switches, dump valves, 110 volt breakers, 12 volt fuses, entertainment center controls and switches, furnaces and AC operation just to mention a few.

Rich.

First I would talk to your insurance company and ask them to recommend or identify courses that they will accept. It would be no use to take a course that they do not find acceptable. Once you have their recommendation or their standards for the course, then you can look for a course that meets their standards. If what they want is a course for operating a large vehicle, you might go to a truck driver school to get a modified course to address the skills needed for driving a motor home. There are RV driving courses offered but these are in my experience usually found at rallies like the national rally FMCA just held in Indianapolis, IN.

A second course of action might be to investigate other insurance companies and ask about their requirements beyond paying the money. I've had several insurance companies since we went full time and never had any that required a course before insuring. Mind you I'm not saying that you should avoid a course for driving a motor home. Both Louise and I have taken a driving course at FMCA rallies and I would highly recommend them. Driving a 20,000 pound vehicle has complications that you may not think of until you are faced with a serious problem. A class will help you prepare for handling those problems.