Sign in to follow this  
therocky

Shore Power Protection

Am 6 months into learning rv full time life... loving it!

Have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty...previous owner appointed it well--I have, and use, a good surge protector, but wonder if I should also use the RV voltage booster as well. It runs the voltage right up there, but is that ok to have more than enough voltage for the protection against damaging low voltage, or am I just being too **** anal?

Suspect you are talking about one of the "buck and boosts".

First question-- what is voltage where you are camped or is this just a general question?

Acceptable voltage WITH YOUR HEAVIEST LOADS RUNNING is 120 VAC +/- 10%. So 108-132.

If you are in older CG's where voltage during peak useage time and high amp usage by you is below 108 VAC, yes it may be worth considering. Note, some CG's do not allow them, as they DO allow you to consume more power, thus lowering overall CG voltage.

Thank You for your reply: My voltage to the coach is most always in acceptable range ... I'm reading my voltage fluctuations from a plug-in a/c monitor. I realize I'm reading only 1 leg, which is probably sharing the appliances pulling the load...and even then, it only dips to 109-110. I' m managing my energy by limiting what I run and when. I think you answered my first ?--haven't gone below 108...and your second answer makes sense--that step-up transformer would pull more voltage. I wasn't sure if it would only pull it when it sensed it needed it. Guess the surge protector is sufficient for most of my plug-ins.

If I'm overlooking anything--holler. And, thank you again for your input.

Rocky,

My son loved all your movies. Sorry wrong Rocky.

As Brett said, when you use a step up transformer it robs power from the grid. If two or three coaches all had step up transformers working at the same time other folks in the park would have below safe voltage and start to burn out appliances.

If you stay in newer parks I fell you would have adequate power.

Herman

I have had to use a boost transformer in a few older state parks. My coach surge protection cuts power at about 105 volts and occasionally it will do that. I don't stay in many private CG's but the ones I have used usually stay above 110 volts.