Sign in to follow this  
stevejennings

Looking For 4x4 Toad

I am trying to find out what's the best 4x4 pickup truck to use behind my 33-foot motor coach. My coach has a Duramax diesel engine and 6-speed Allison trans. I hope to remove the box and put on a low-profile flat bed with a rack to carry a 6'6" by 14' 6" pontoon boat weighing 550 pounds. I can't seem to find lengths, weights and towability of the various trucks out there.

I tow a 1/2 ton Silverado 2wd behind my 32 foot diesel pusher. It has the v6 with 5 speed manual trans. I believe if you have a 4x4 all you have to do is shift the transfer case into neurtal.

I checked out the towing guide, but it doesn't give me the length and width of the vehicle to see if it is long and wide enough to put the pontoon boat on top. Also can I use a ford ,Chevy, Nissan, Toyota automatic transmission to tow 4 down. Standard transmission is okay but I would prefer a automatic in a 4x4.

I moved boats for years and it took a one ton, crew cab dually. How are you going to load and unload it? We had to use a lift to both load and unload. I would be very concerned about you toad being top heavy and not being able to control the possible sway. Most states have a 65 foot length limit check to see if you could pull a double. 33 foot coach, 20 foot tow vehicle and a 14 foot boat plus tow bar and tongueand you are somewhere around 70 feet.

Might I suggest that when you want to take the Pontoon boat to have the DW drive the tow vehicle and pull the boat and you drive the coach.

Herman

While I have not done a bunch of research, the longest P/U box length I can find is about 8' and you want to put a boat on that bed that is 14 1/2 feet long that weighs over 500 pounds. That's 6+ feet and likely 250 pounds hanging off the back of the truck well behind the rear axle. I foresee the P/U flipping back on its end!

This is a totally uneducated guess based upon some quick numbers but I simply don't see any practical application for this kind of a setup.

Bill, this can be done however you have to have a frame made for the truck. As I said before, one ton crew cab duelie. Frame is mounted on the back of the bed supports in the front of the bed and supports off the front bumper. It can be narrow where the pontoon sits down over the frame or have rails that the pontoons rest in. Either way it isn't for the weekender. When I had this setup I hauled 5 boats. two pontoon in tandum. each with a pontoon or V bottom on top of each and a pontoon or V bottom on top of the truck.

A 14 foot pontoon on top of a 1/2 ton PU is just asking for trouble.

Herman, are you saying you were able to use some sort of a P/U to haul 2 - 14 1/2 foot long pontoon boats in tandem (behind each other) or 13' wide if side by side? Plus you had 2 more mounted above these and one over the cab for a total of 5? The 3,000 pounds doesn't surprise me but the layout must have been a work of art!

Yes Bill it was a work of art,like a Chinese fire drill. The truck was a one ton. On the front was a post wit a ball that the trailer hitch locked into. The pontoons rested on two carpeted rails on each side and the boat was secured with straps. I towed two pontoons on pontoon trailers end to end. Each had a pontoon mounted on top of them. I had a special wiring harness that was operated from the dash with a switch for the running lights and the brake lights and turn signals were connected to the trucks harness. The reason for the separate line for the running lights was that there was too much draw on the head light switch and burned several out before I found the problem. Also since I was running through Arkansas at night and there were several weight station on the Interstate I would switch off the trailer lights as I passed ans then turned them back on when i was clear. :o:rolleyes: