JohnQFWB

Satellite Dome Replacement

Satellite Dome Replacement

Currently we have a King-Dome 9702 Satellite Dome Antenna set up to receive DirecTV Standard Definition (SD) TV signals in our motorhome. It has performed quite well for the last 3 years, finding the 101 satellite fairly quickly. But lately, finding the 101 satellite fails and takes quite a bit of time in the failure. By accident, I discovered that it seems to switch what satellite it is looking for. Then I have to monkey with the satellite selector switch, again another pain.

So I am considering replacing the King-Dome 9702 with either a King-Dome 9762 or a Winegard Trav’ler SK-3005. I want to stay with the existing Samsung Standard Definition Satellite receivers (S-70 & S-303) because I “own” them and do not want to lease anything from DirecTV or expensive HD receivers. I know the 9762 is compatible with standard definition so that is a plus but my current problems with the 9702 is a minus. I know the SK-3005 looks for and finds 3 different satellites automatically (a big plus) and one of them is the 101 satellite (another plus). What I do not know is whether or not the SK-3005 can receive Standard Definition signals and is compatible with my Samsung Standard Definition receivers. And if I read the advertisement correctly, it says on the SK-3005 dish that it is a “Slim Line” antenna, yet another, is it compatible with my Samsung SD Receivers.

Can owners of the SK-3005 give me some clarification on my lack of knowledge regarding Standard Definition and Samsung Receivers compatibility?

(I work for Winegard)

The SK-3005 (Trav'ler) is compatible with every receiver ever made for DirecTV. The antenna itself does not use the receiver to find the signal and therefore the receiver just gets the signal from the satellite just like any standard home antenna. It's a great improvement over search routines which require the receiver signal to lock on. If you are absolutely certain that you have no interest in HD now or in the future you could buy the SK-3003 which only receives the 101, 110 and 119 signals. It will never be HD capable but you will save around $400. Otherwise, the 3005 will receive the SD now and you can simply change receivers if you want to upgrade to HD in the future.

(I work for Winegard)

Otherwise, the 3005 will receive the SD now and you can simply change receivers if you want to upgrade to HD in the future.

That's the PLAN!!!! Especially when I start seeing more & cheaper HD Receivers on Fleabay. DirecTV & Dish for that matter have bad manners (customer service) when you lease THEIR receivers.

John, If you are in the position to replace your dish and you plan to up grade to HD later might I suggest that you look at the three LNB Satellite dish. It is an open dish and can not be used in motion. Bill can tell you which dish taht would be.

That being the case, just be sure you buy the SK-3005 (5 LNB, 5 satellites, not 3) so you can receive all of the DTV programming. You only need 101 for your current SD receiver but the antenna uses 110 and 119 to help peak the signal. Once you move to HD, the antenna also receives 99 and 103 for the HD programming.

That's the PLAN!!!! Especially when I start seeing more & cheaper HD Receivers on Fleabay. DirecTV & Dish for that matter have bad manners (customer service) when you lease THEIR receivers.

With Directv if you own your own receiver it still cost you about $6 month for activation, the same if you lease from them but if leased you have a 2 year obligation. If you have your own you will have to buy a new access card for some $20.

The SK3005 will not work with the H25 or H35 series Direct TV receivers. At least not usless you buy an extra piece of equipment from Winegard. The SK3005 is not SWM compatible and the H25 and H35 receivers will only work with SWN dishes. Winegard sells a device - an SWM8 - that will allow the SK3005 dish to be used but it requires some additional wiring.

The 2 receivers that require the additional SWM kit are the H25 and the HR34 (5 tuner whole house DVR). There is no H35. The kit is required due to changes made at DirecTV and the SK-3005 is fully compatible with all of the other DirecTV receivers. The add-on for the Trav'ler just involves a SWM8 module and a power inserter (PI28 or PI29). These are available online in many locations for as little at $50. Whether it's a new installation or you have to update your current installation, this is a simple and inexpensive add-on. It's just a matter of knowing whether you need it or not.