Sign in to follow this  
goncolgo

Windshield Separating From Its Rubber Seal

Has anyone experienced the windshield separating from its rubber seal? 1994 Damon Challenger, 34 foot diesel pusher.

I have an open gap at the lower corners of my windshields, about 6-8" in length and as much as 1/4 inch in width. It might have been from exposure to the heat experienced in Mexico?

Not sure how to approach repairing it. Should I attempt it or go to a glass shop?

If anyone has a recommendation of a good and reasonable glass shop in the Santa Rosa, CA area,or within 100 miles, please recommend.

Don't know if windshield has to be completely removed or if there is a method for me to get things back in order without removal of glass?

Is the windshield still solidly attached. If so you can get new rubber and use a black silicone type material to attach the rubber trim. Thats how the glass company did mine after replacing the windshields.

This issue turns up no a number of coaches. I have had the same problem with mine.

The way I have mine repaired is to have the windshield removed and replaced. (R an R) The cost out of pocket for me has been $100.00 to remove and replace the windshield using the same seal. This is on a coach with a split windshield.

The seals can dry out over time and become stiff. Some times the opening is a little over sized and the seals will slowly separate from the fiberglass as the coach flexes.

A good glass shop should be able to give you a good idea, on how to fix the opening.

Rich.

I have seen this reported often when levelers were being used. If not used properly, some levelers can twist the coach enough to deform the shape of the windshield area and allow the glass to slide out of the rubber moldings. If you are seeing this at all times, even when the unit is on flat, level ground I think you should contact Damon and ask them if this is a common issue and how the repairs should be addressed. Damon may have done some modifications to the rubber or the glass if this problem is not unique.

Windshield popping out of rubber Gasket:

We bought the 2004 Damon Motorhome new and have had many problems with water leaking around the windshield rubber gasket. in the last year we have had the windshield pop out of the rubber gasket causing large amounts of water to come in during rain storms. We sealed the windshield the best we could to keep out the rain but the glass was coming out further and further. We took it to a dealer and they removed the windshields and cleaned the rubber gasket. after a couple of days use the windshield popped out again on the top. The dealer then decided the coach needed a new rubber gasket. The dealer then went replaced the gasket and re-installed the windshields. After a week of use the top of the glass was popped out of the new rubber gasket.

The dealer does not know what to do know. the Damon company now Thor Motor Coach, PO Box 1486 Elkhart, Indiana 46515 should be making a recall to fix this problem. it is happening on many of the older Damon models from 2002 - 2009, I can't get anyone to be concerned about this.