Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Directv DVR

We very recently sold our farm and will do full time rving for a while...removed by beloved Directv DVR from the house and want to use it in the motorhome.

Does anyone have any idea if it is compatible with the satellite on the roof and if so is there anything that I need to do extra????

Someone at Camping World mentioned to me something about the need for a B band but I got no definite info on that or what that even means...

Thank you.

Pat

Since no one here knows what kind of antenna you have on your roof, no one is going to be able to answer that question.

What I can tell you is that if you have a dome antenna you will be able to fully utilize your DVR (if it's setup for that) but you will never be able to receive the DirecTV high-def (HD) programming. No dome can, but you will get all of the DirecTV SD programming.

If you have a simple manual crank up open faced antenna with a single LNB, the same rules as above apply.

In order to receive the DirecTV HD programming you will need an open face, multi-LNB such as the ones made by Winegard, MoSAT Systems and RF Mogul or a similar antenna that is mounted on a large tripod and manually pointed as you move to each new location.

We have a KVH Dome mounted on our MH installed in 2005. It has the standard antenna that will not receive HD. My winter neighbor (also a MH) recently had Camping World install an open face auto crank up and satellite finder disc that receives both HD and digital signals at a cost of approximately $2500. They love it. We leave our HD Receiver at the house in Kansas as it Is not functional with the RV dome antenna. You may want to check with your RV dealer or Antenna Operators Manual to determine which type antenna you do have on the roof. Good luck and happy Fulltiming.

Bob

We have a KingDome auto tracking satellite dome on our coach. With two leads through the roof we can utilize both inputs to the HD DVR which enables us to record two channels, or watch one while recording another. No, it is not high definition, but Direct has a very clear picture in standard definition. Since we also use the DVR at home, where we have the large dish, we ignore the channels which are shown as HD and only use the standard definition channels. On a long trip we tell the DVR we have a round dish, which erases the HD channels from the guide. We have been using the autotrack feature while driving, to listen to the music channels that Direct offers. This also has enabled us to easily find any holes in the trees as we back into a site with a lot of trees. Saves a lot of time and has avoided having to set up a ground dish. If an automatic dome cannot find the satellite it may not be programmed for Direct TV, whether you are using a HD DVR or HD receiver or standard DVR or receiver.

Thank you everyone for your answers...I am sorry that I have not looked here sooner but we closed on the farm on the 28th and have been busy with the final stuff and setting up on a site closeby so we can do the doctor and dentists appointments we set up before we take off down the road.

We have a Wineguard and I am sorry that we don't hava a double cable up on the roof so that we can utilize the dual band but for now I will be happy to use the single. It is not an HD dvr.

I did talk to a tech at Ocala's Camping World and he said it should just be a simple change out from the regular receiver to the dvr...was glad to hear that.

And I did talk to a DirecTv tech who was very familiar with the rv set up and he said just change it out and make sure I connect to antenna #1 connection and indicate single.

I was not aware that you could have two cables in the roof satellite...can I get that done at a Camping World or other service department????? I loved being able to record and watch another program while doing so.

Thank you again. Pat