RonWindemuller

Performance Chip For C 7 Cat

Does anyone have any experience with the chips you can buy for C 7 CATs.......seem to be selling for 500-600 dollars and plug into something......they claim to be easy to install......

Does anyone have any experience with the chips you can buy for C 7 CATs.......seem to be selling for 500-600 dollars and plug into something......they claim to be easy to install......

Ron,

What are you trying to achieve? The aftermarket chips that I am aware of do NOT increase torque-- it stays 860 lb-ft @ 1,440 RPM.

You will also need to verify that your coach's cooling system was OVERdesigned enough to accommodate the added heat load that goes along with burning more fuel to make more HP.

You will need to check on its effect on Caterpillar's warranty and on the EPA certification.

Before considering any HP boost, please read this Caterpillar document VERY carefully: Understanding Coach (RV) Performance

Page 7 shows the huge increase in HP at the rear wheels (even more engine HP) needed to increase speed on a 6% grade by even 10 MPH. And if the expense of the chip and other negative elements won't do that......

An example from page 7: for a 34,000 GCW coach/toad to climb that 6% grade at 45 MPH requires 310 HP AT THE REAR WHEELS (every bit of that produced by a 350 HP C7 engine). For the same rig, same grade to go 55 MPH requires 402 HP AT THE REAR WHEELS. This is well past what even a radical chip can do.

I am not suggesting not looking into it, but PLEASE consider the pluses and minuses and more than anything, set reasonable expectations for what it will do for you.

Most find that going 4-5 MPH faster the few times they are on a 6% grade is not worth the effort.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks Brett....I agree.....and thought that whatever benefit was promised would be outweighed by the risk and reality of CAT engineering set up.

Just wondered if there were any reports of success or failure.....

I think I will stick with what I have......it works fine.

I have a 40 ft 2007 Damon Tuscany with the 350 Cat. I think I have enough power on hills, but wondered if the chips may help fuel economy? I drive between 60 and 65MPH and average about 7 MPG. I don't want to risk damage to my rig. This summer we pulled Highway 20 in Washington State pulling a Toyota Avalon in on a dolly. The tempature guage did hardly move. Saw several cars stopped boiled over on that grade.

Ron, one thing to calculate is return on investment. If the chip will increase milage from your 7.0 MPG to say & 7.1MPG, how long will that increase take to pay for itself? Just a thought. What Brett will tell you on Cats, you can take to the Bank.