gdetty

Inverter And Refrigerator

I bought a used 2010 Jayco Melbourne this past summer. With being new to camping and RVing, I find it's a learn as you go type of thing since there are a lot of things one needs to know. On one of the seven (new) trips we took last summer we found ourselves in a supermarket parking lot, my wife buying groceries, and me talking to the RV service department. I always turned on the propane before I left and then ran the refrigerator off of the propane as we drove down the highway, in the thinking, by the time we got to this market, the refrigerator and freezer would be cold. However, this time it was not working and even the stove would not light.

The system has been purged since it's a used unit and we had the propane systems working before. I had to wait for the campgound to try and add propane, although the gauge showed 3/4 full. This did not solve the problem so I moved to my assigned campsite and plugged in the electrical service so the refrigerator would start to work. By then we sat with spoiled food we had to throw away.

Luckily, after a few days, for some odd reason the system started to work on the propane. On the next trip, I tried the systems before I left and a hose was kinked under the slideout couch. Then I got to thinking, I have an inverter that changes the battery to 120 volts AC. Now my question, does anyone run their refrigerator (traveling) with the inverter? There would not be any other 120 Volt appliance working, like the TV's. Since propane is expensive, I thought this may be an idea to save money.

I also have not checked the wattage of the refrigerator or the output of the inverter.

Just asking before I go that route.

Gdetty,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, if you have a built-in inverter, it would provide enough power to run your refrigerator. BUT, I see that more as a band aid for your problem with getting the propane system up and running properly as the better solution.

You would need to determine how your coach's inverter 120 VAC out was wired-- actually whether there is an inverter-powered outlet behind the refrigerator. If your inverter has a PASS THROUGH FEATURE (when on shore or generator, the inverter automatically powers all things on the "out" side of the inverter from the external source rather than continuing to take battery power to "make" 120 VAC). If it doesn't, you would have to manually remove the refrigerator plug from the inverter-powered outlet and plug it into an outlet powered by the normal shore/generator.

Let us know what inverter or inverter charger you have and if you have an inverter-powered outlet behind the refrigerator.

I have run my refrigerator on the inverter while driving for several years to save on propane. It draws 268 watts when the heat element is on which is about 32 amps at 12 volts. Ideally you would start the day with full batteries or be sure you have enough alternator output. I had to change my alternator from 165 amp to 240 to keep up with 2 group 31 for the engine and 6 golfcart 2GCs. Prior to doing that I burnt up 2 alternators.

I too ran my television and refrigerator on inverter but it turns out that the appliances have some issues when they are being run on inverter. Still can't figure out why this problem arises?!!

Ashleypaxtonn,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Some inverters produce pure sine wave power, others modified sine wave power. The modified sine waves inverters are less money, but some appliances are sensitive to wave form and don't do well on MSW.