Sign in to follow this  
tmoning

Virginia To Close 18 Rest Areas

Question

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close 18 rest areas around the commonwealth overnight tonight (July 20) as crews implement planned cost-savings reductions. See story here.

2 answers to this question

In a post on June 30 in the Legislative Action thread, on the topic of Rest Areas, I suggested that this very thing might happen. I would bet that this is just the beginning of a tidal wave of cost cutting by states that will result in a variety of problems for the traveling public and motor home enthusiasts in particular. It is short sighted, traffic safety will decline as a result of this action. But when there is no more money, some difficult decisions have to be made. Virginia was never a really friendly rest stop state by my experience. This will take Virginia off my travel list for the immediate future.

Guest Wayne77590

I like to stop at rest areas, especially for the puppy to get out and stretch her legs - and whatever. But as for me, I don't have to use their facilites - I have my own - so I can stop just about anywhere I want, but I always look for a little grassy spot - not for me mind you.