Sign in to follow this  
berginaperzina

RV Towing When Broken Down

I am just wondering do most of you use the FMCA towing service? I keep receiving offers from Good Sam and since my plan will need to be renewed soon I was just checking around.... I am feeling that FMCA is probably the best but I would appreciate input. Thanks

Jose and Karen,

I have had Coach Net Service for the last five years and have been very satisfied. I had Good Sam earlier and had some issues with their service. I have had good experiences with both when they have provided service promptly so can't say it is all bad. They will deliver a big wrecker as soon as they possibly can. When we were stuck in the mud with several thousand other motor homes at FMCA in Hutchinson, Kansas in 2002, we called GS and expected to be number 500 in line. We had a wrecker in about 15 minutes and were out and on our way in short order.

We had one experience when GS told us no wrecker was available until tomorrow and we would have to call back tomorrow when we were ready to tow. They wouldn't make an appointment for tomorrow. We were in an RV park with an engine breakdown so it wasn't like we were in danger, just inconvenienced. On another occasion, they sent out a truck with a tire and wheel neither of which we could keep but would have to purchase to take care of a flat tire. I told them no deal but they said that was my service call. I had to arrange service on my own. I had to buy a wheel I didn't need but at least got the proper size tire. In the long run I came out cheaper getting my own service than I would have been taking their service. My expense wasn't their concern, they wanted to send the closest repair service. That was the last straw with their service.

I'm renewing my Coach Net service at the FMCA Convention in Bowling Green. They are offering a $20 discount for renewals here at the Convention! If you are a first time customer, they should give you a better price for the first year. If you are renewing you could ask for the convention rate! Doesn't hurt to try! If they say no, you can always drop by the convention!!! Then again, the drive from California might cost more than your savings.

We use Allstate RV roadside help. I have been with them for some years now. I had this before we got into motor homing.

I have the ''Premium"" service. It costs a little more but you get a lot more.

One. This service has UNLIMITED mileage concerning towing your rig. According to them, they will tow your rig to the nearest ''authorized

dealer'' for service to your particular vehicle. This means if you have a Ford chassis they will tow your rig to a Ford dealer regardless

of mileage. This can be very comforting if you are stuck between ''Pitchfork'' and ''Doorslam" in Montana or somewhere along the Alcan

between Nothing and Nothing.

Two. This service also covers the ''prep'' for towing you coach. Some tow services charge you fifty bucks to drop your drive shaft.

Three. There seems to be no limit to the ''calls'' they will respond to. Last year I was blessed with three flats while coming home

from the west coast. One on the pick up and two on the coach. Yes Wayne, I bought 6 new tires and resolved the problem.

I would suggest to anyone that they investigate any roadside service closely and ask about LIMITATIONS OF SERVICE before signing up.

All of them will tell you WHAT THEY DO AND HOW WELL THEY DO IT but few will tell you their limitations of service. I understand that some

services have a limitation on how far they will tow your rig before you start paying the tab.

There are a few things I would not leave home without. My two friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, a short stack of Mr. Franklin's. Willa

and the two dogs and my Allstate Road Service Card.

This helpful information is free

Seajay the sailor man